Red Dot Success?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanM

Reaction score
How's everyone who's using a red dot on their ML liking it? I'll be using it for the first time this season. Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Man I got all sorts of good information on Red-Dots and 1x scopes, as here in NE thats all we can use. Took my wife approximately 4 months and god only knows how much money to settle on a sight she liked!!!

Some tips for the red-dots.

Don't buy a cheap one!

If you have the means, I reccomend an Aimpoint, but it will set you back 300 smackers!

Aimpoints and Millets are the only two red-dots I know of that are totally parallax free (centering of the dot not required). I have been told Leupold is too, but I can't find this stated anywhere on thier website.

Of the several brands of red-dots I have looked thru Aimpoint is far superior.

For me a parrallax free red-dot was the only way I to go. My wife didn't want to worry about having to center the dot and I can't say I blame her. Millets are OK at best, so I shelled out the money for an aimpoint.

If you don't mind having to center the dot. Leupold and Nikon make pretty decent ones.

Millets OK at best....

I guess if you want to spend $300 bucks on a Red dot you would have to justify it some how. I have been using a Millet on Shoot gun for about 7 years now and all I cna say is it is great.

I have compared the Millet and the Aimpoint side by side and yes I would have to say the aimpoint is nicer but ther aint no way it is twice as nice. The Aimpoint is twice the price.

Unless the millet quality has gone down hill the last couple of years they are far better than OK. With a Forever warranty the Millet is a nice scope at a noce price with a noce warranty you will never have to use because they are tough as nails.

I know 3 guys that have had to have the Aimpoints worked on. I do not know anybody that has issues with the Millett...

I have a Bushnell Trophy RED DOT on a CVA Staghorn Magnum. The DOT does have some advantages and some disadvantages.

In low light or at late after noon at close range, the red dot is a real advantage. I've unloaded my rifle at dusk/night, walking out of the woods and it hits at 25 yards right where you put that dot. During day light, it shoots some very impressive groups.

Disadvantage are, at longer ranges like 100 yards, you can got some 5" groups easy, but I've also shot some much better then that. My dot is a 3MOA but that is 3" in what ever part of the previous circle you place it. Also as the light fades outside, the dot can grow a tail. You have to learn to ignore the tail on the dot. The final thing I mention is, because of the size of the tube, long distances in low light actually seem darker through the tube then with the naked eye.

I rate a RED DOT as an excellent 50 yard and under sighting device. Even in low light. Once the light fades, you need to pay a lot more attention to what you can actually see before you pull the trigger.

Used them for years since they first came out. Aimpoint would be my choice and the one thing I like is learning to keep both eyes open and leading the dot. I have conquored the running deer event at the turkey shoots and will continue to do so as long as they allow me.

Aimpoint and EO Tech Holosight are both great optics, the Eo Tech is a little faster, different concept, heads up display and it is parallax free.

red dot s

i have had a red dot scope on my muzzleloader for at least 5 yrs and i have never missed a deer out to over a 100 yd :D s with it...having the lite turned to hi at times make shooting it hard ..but if u tone lite down its deadly

I have used a red dot on both my ML and slug gun for about 10 years. Last 4 years have used a Ultra Dot. Best sight that I've found for the money. Lifetime warranty, good battery life, holds zero for around $140.00. Checkout www.ultradotusa.com for more info.
All of my shots have been under 75 yds. Have made some good shots trough small openings that would have been tough with open sights. The ultra dot is easy to see in bright conditions, and is great on cloudly, dark days. I average 4-5 inch groups at 100 yds.

I like red dots. Had a red dot on a 30-30 lever action that would group great at 100 yards (5 min dot).

My mom shoots a red dot on her .22 revolver - she likes to make cans dance!

Lots of guys use the red dots on shotguns so the ML should not be a problem.

I'm gonna put a Truglo 2x red dot on my CVA Wolf. It has a 2.5 minute dot and should be just the ticket for hunting down here in FL. I'm guessing it will give me a 150 yard range.

I heard that all the lower end red dots are made by the same people in China. So - we've been using BSAs and other cheap brands. They don't lose a zero and work great - even after many years of service.

(Same for the Bushnell and Nikon scopes - Bushnell Elite 4200 and Nikon Maonarch are the same deal except Bushnell puts the rainguard on it.)

Latest posts

Back