Omega - Favorite Load Combination?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big6x6 said:
Two classic loads for the Omega .50cal are either the 200gr Shockwave or 250gr SST with 100gr to 120gr ffg Triple Se7en. I've never seen an Omega .50 than wouldn't shoot one of those very accurately. Of course you will have to spitpatch between shots.

LATELY Omegas around here have developed a fondness for Blackhorn 209. The below targets were shot with 120gr Blackhorn 209:

IMG_0107.JPG

Im sure glad you sold that gun! I cant wait to try and duplicate that Chuck!
Great shooting!

Lee 9 said:
TURBO
If it seems like its not going to work I suggest you try the MMP-HPH24 and the short black Havestor sabot, Black Horn 209 would also be a good option.

Unfortunately, none of the outdoors stores here carry BH 209, most don't even know what it is when I asked. A buddy hit Cabelas in Grand Forks and they said they aren't approved to carry it, WTF???? So no luck getting that way either.

I'm just gonna grab a bunch of stuff and find what works, no more "advice" from gun store wizards.

So.... Ummmm..... any of you guys that got a line on BH 209 wanna meet around 2 am at the Canada/US border and Ummm..... have coffee and talk about ML hunting,lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cabelas in East Grand forks has it now. I bought a jug there about ten days ago. Scheels didn't have it yet. They would be getting it pretty soon.

TURBO said:
I bought an Omega about a week ago and got out to shoot this past thursday. I started with 90gr T7 ffg and a Hornady 250gr SST with the low drag sabot.

I've found this combo tends to pattern more so than group, I hope I can do better than pie plate accuracy. Next time out I'll try upping the powder charge and see how things go.

Gonna pick up some XTP's and see what happens, maybe loose the low drag sabot too????

Hey Turbo....
I just read your post concerning loose vs. pellets.... Sounds like you are having some trouble getting your Omega to shoot... Are you using a scope? All the screws tight, etc? 90gr ffg Triple Se7en is a GREAT place to start and you should be able to get it to shoot accurately. PERSONALLY...I'd stick with the ffg 90-100gr... Stick with the 250gr SST BUT try a Harvester short black sabot H5045SB. If you don't have a range rod, get one so you can swab with a spit patch between shots. If you want to try a different bullet, try a 200gr Shockwave .50cal and use the same powder charge...

.300 gold dot, 100 grains t7 loose, crusher rib sabot- holes touching at 100 yards. barnes .290 tmz a close 2nd

.300 gold dot, 100 grains t7 loose, crushed rib sabot- holes touching at 100 yards. barnes .290 tmz a close 2nd

Tried 90grs. of Black Mag and 245gr. Barnes TMZ with crushed rib sabot 1 1/4", Just bought BH209 went to the range today. 110grs. of BH209,245 gr. Barnes TMZ with supplied sabot, CCI primer. WOW! 3shots cover with quarter.

250 XTP
MMP EZ
777 ff 95 grains (tapped down)
Winchester 777 primer

patch between shots with windex

I have had great groupings when I use shockwaves and 100 grains of pyrodex. XTP's have not worked very well for me.

I want to try blackhorn and also the barnes bullets. I am told the T-EZ are the bullet of choice for the newer Omega becaue of the tighter barrel.

Here's what works best in my TC Omega:
100 grains of BH209, Hornaday 250 grain SST and Winchester W209 primers.

100 yard 4 shot group using this combination.
MVC-010S.jpg

Mine shoots several bullets well but they must fit very tight and I seat them on top of power very hard. If the sabot loads without a strain my gun is probably not going to shoot it well. The only exception I have found is the blue easyload sabot knight sells with the 285gr barnes spitfire. With this combo I get 1.5 5 shot groups. I've tried same bullet with harvester crushribs and its pie plate accurate. I'm currently using BH 110gr with CCI 209M primers. But the gun shot the same bullet sabot combo well with T7 and win ML'er primer.

big6x6 said:
TURBO said:
I bought an Omega about a week ago and got out to shoot this past thursday. I started with 90gr T7 ffg and a Hornady 250gr SST with the low drag sabot.

I've found this combo tends to pattern more so than group, I hope I can do better than pie plate accuracy. Next time out I'll try upping the powder charge and see how things go.

Gonna pick up some XTP's and see what happens, maybe loose the low drag sabot too????

Hey Turbo....
I just read your post concerning loose vs. pellets.... Sounds like you are having some trouble getting your Omega to shoot... Are you using a scope? All the screws tight, etc? 90gr ffg Triple Se7en is a GREAT place to start and you should be able to get it to shoot accurately. PERSONALLY...I'd stick with the ffg 90-100gr... Stick with the 250gr SST BUT try a Harvester short black sabot H5045SB. If you don't have a range rod, get one so you can swab with a spit patch between shots. If you want to try a different bullet, try a 200gr Shockwave .50cal and use the same powder charge...

Well I took a trip to Wally World today. Been months since the last time. They had lots of ML stuff and tons of powder. Had the U-View measure for $7. I just paid $17 yesterday. :oops: But, they had lots of T7 FFG 16oz. bottles for $21. Since I'm just barely buying everything needed I wasn't sure I could use it. Now I am.

When you say "swab w/ a spit patch". What exactly does that entail? Do I have to remove the Breech plug after each shot? Thanks!

Back