first shot hitting high.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckhammer

Reaction score
my accuracy has gotten guestionable.when i first got my savage i was shooting groups from 7/8" to 1 1/2"using 45 grains of #4759 and the 250 grain hornady sst. during the cold months my groups opened up to 2 1/4".the confusing part is my first shot seems to impact high by as much as 4". i do not get much difference in left to right only up and down.can any body tell me why my first (and most important shot for hunting)is impacting high.after this first shot the bullet goes back down to where i finished the previous sesson.help

Could be your gun likes a fouled barrel and plug. My Knight MK85 always does that too. First shot on a clean barrel is always high. My new Savage did the same thing after a thorough cleaning after the first range session.

Could be your gun likes a fouled barrel and plug.

Did you clean the barrel/plug or remove the action screws between range visits?

buckhammer said:
my accuracy has gotten guestionable.when i first got my savage i was shooting groups from 7/8" to 1 1/2"using 45 grains of #4759 and the 250 grain hornady sst. during the cold months my groups opened up to 2 1/4".the confusing part is my first shot seems to impact high by as much as 4". i do not get much difference in left to right only up and down.can any body tell me why my first (and most important shot for hunting)is impacting high.after this first shot the bullet goes back down to where i finished the previous sesson.help

My clean barrel shot has always shot higher than group from about every rifle I have.

I MUST shoot a fouling shot prior to hunt, but the up side is this is once a year since I do not have to clean for many shots after that with smokeless.

Latest posts

Back