Random thoughts on the future of inlines

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the surge in states and or special regulations areas allowing straight wall cartridges, will this severely impact the development, sales and use of inline muzzleloaders? I never used to see inlines on the used rack like Im seeing now.
I know of a few who have put up their frontstuffers in favor of the breechloader. So sad, imo.
Will this also have a positive effect on the sales of sidelocks?
Just wondering...

Utah is moving to remove scopes from muzzleloaders, so with the limited range capabilities I feel like it could renew interest in old school muzzle loaders. Smokeless is not an option here.

The price of Blackhorn makes black or smokeless much more interesting.
I believe especially with the younger generation, they will move to smokeless ML’s or straight wall cartridges so they don’t have to clean them when they get home.

But like ed mentions, nobody likes to clean if they don't have to.

Last edited:
I agree that the younger generation will most likely adopt smokeless and straight wall cartridge muzzle loaders. I've been shooting a smokeless ML for 7 years now. Can't imagine ever having to go back to muzzle loader that needs to be cleaned. Not to mention I can shoot up to 400 yards with my smokeless. Can definitely see the ML landscape changing in the future!

My state has a dedicated 3 week muzzleloader season and muzzleloaders still sell poorly here.
Here in Virginia, the number of hunters is dwindling every year and the number of hunters in the woods after the holidays (and it gets cold) is few. DWR has indicated that longer later seasons doesn’t appear to be helping to cull the herd.

As long as there is an extra season for muzzle loaders,
Michigan now allows straight-wall cartridges for muzzle loading season and the guns that shoot straight wall are flying off of the shelf. Especially the younger guys. So the younger generation has definitely moved to straight walls. Straight walls are all the younger hunters talk about.

My sister-in-law and I were doing errands for my mom a few days ago. She said her friends and her are aware that the processors are less busy than before. Used to be the hunters were lined up to get their deer processed. Not so anymore. Also, as we went about our business years ago the trucks parked in fields for bow hunting was almost every where. Again, not so anymore.

I think the opportunity to take a trophy is increasing as deer start to die of old age instead of lead poison.

Here in Virginia, the number of hunters is dwindling every year and the number of hunters in the woods after the holidays (and it gets cold) is few. DWR has indicated that longer later seasons doesn’t appear to be helping to cull the herd.
I'm sorry to hear that. Hunting is alive and well where I live, but almost nobody uses muzzleloaders here. I can remember the buzz about Knights back in the 90's, but things went quiet soon after. AR rifles became legal here in the 2000's and they have dominated the market ever since.

I don't think the straight wall will end muzzleloaders but will put another dent in it. I have to admit even I want to hang up the trusty 220 slug gun in favor of a straight wall. Cheaper ammo and better accuracy and longer range. No need to buy a new scope, just pull it off the slug gun. But I do love my first newly acquired muzzy. I plan on using it over the slug gun this year. It's more consistent on paper and feels better on the shoulder.

Hunter numbers are down where I hunt and I don't believe its because any certain types of guns can be used or not used. CWD has and is a big factor in hunter recruitment each year because processing facilities are being levied some ridiculous regulations. Here in Minnesota processors are required now to completely sanitize after finishing work on one deer and before another can be done. This is new this year. The cost of a bare bones, minimally processed, deer is floating just under $200 here. That's the steaks and chops cut and wrapped, no sausage or further processed meat and the would be burger comes back as trim in a box. No grinding.

Unless a younger person has been brought up and guided into deer hunting to not only enjoy the hunt but to be able to do the follow-up work, not many will stick with deer or other large game hunting because so many of them are lazy. If anything I see this laziness keeping some, maybe even a large amount, of the younger persons from buying and using muzzleloaders simply because of the amount of maintenance required with them. Then too there has to be some sort of fire inside a younger person to want to hunt. In our family I see some grandkids that hit the woods with absolute fever and hunt with bows, muzzies and shotguns/rifles religiously while others can't even be gotten out of bed to hit a stand. There are plenty of kids out there that have about zero interest in hunting or shooting even when coaxed by parents or elders.

Do I think that in-lines are going to fall by the wayside? Not in any of our lifetimes, no. Can I see hunter numbers take a hit in the future? Yup.

Ya know i really don't know why i even buy or build a kit ML/s. My State does not have a ML season at all. I am sure the straight walled firearms will be included in the next few years. Its being talked about n considered. I hate to give my Grand children any of mine. They will just pawn or sell them. I am not really a shotgun slug deer hunter either. I use my Pa's old Win. model 12 pump 16 about every 6-10 years, to kill a tick toter.

Of all my hunting friends, I don’t know one single person with a kid that has any interest in muzzleloaders or hunts with one, so if we‘re counting on the younger generation to keep the tradition alive, I doubt it’s going to happen.

I’ve owned a couple or three smokeless muzzleloaders, and though I know it’s not going to be a popular opinion, I don’t believe they have any place in a general muzzleloader season. Smokeless powder in any gun needs to be restricted to regular rifle or shotgun season (in my opinion). I’m not necessarily for banning scopes and only allowing sidelocks, but I’d support it even though it would severely handicap me.
The whole straight wall cartridge during ML season is totally ridiculous.

Before the flaming begins, I just stated my opinion so take it for what it is.

Of all my hunting friends, I don’t know one single person with a kid that has any interest in muzzleloaders or hunts with one, so if we‘re counting on the younger generation to keep the tradition alive, I doubt it’s going to happen.

I’ve owned a couple or three smokeless muzzleloaders, and though I know it’s not going to be a popular opinion, I don’t believe they have any place in a general muzzleloader season. Smokeless powder in any gun needs to be restricted to regular rifle or shotgun season (in my opinion). I’m not necessarily for banning scopes and only allowing sidelocks, but I’d support it even though it would severely handicap me.

Agreed.. no smokeless or straight wall during muzzy season. And I only know one person younger then me that has a muzzleloader. That they use or know how to use.

I agree that the younger generation will most likely adopt smokeless and straight wall cartridge muzzle loaders. I've been shooting a smokeless ML for 7 years now. Can't imagine ever having to go back to muzzle loader that needs to be cleaned. Not to mention I can shoot up to 400 yards with my smokeless. Can definitely see the ML landscape changing in the future!
I can't imagines spending that much for components/conversions and with my Renegade /rice 1-17 I reach 700 yds (target) only . Still kill stuff with other 45/50 cal Renegades (2x7 Leupolds ) but lighter /user friendly and nothing wrong with OE 2F/3F under a full bore home cast . Still reach out and touch someone @200 yds on a still day broadside and save money by buying more lead/works for me /Ed

We have a specific muzzleloader season and IF I decide to hunt it I'll be toting the Accura. I hunted the regular firearms season with my Patriot and smokeless and took a doe. The pistol took a buck and should I hunt the muzzy season I'll take another doe.

Way back when the muzzy season here was established it was pretty much sidelock.... in lines were still a figment of the imagination. Once the in-lines began showing up I stopped hunting the muzzy season and took advantage of the regular firearms season to use the in-line and have done super well over the years.

I still think new hunter recruitment is a far larger issue than whether muzzies and the straight-walled guns are going into competition. I don't fret over processing because I do all of it myself. Straight-walls don't interest me at all because I can do anything they can with the in-lines and without the expense of buying any additional guns.

Wednesday morning, our firearms opener. I will carry my straight wall gun. A Ruger 450bm bolt gun. Its so chaotic sometimes, and I've had to help my lease mates track and dispatch deer enough times that I'm mainly there as backup. I prefer to shoot a big fat doe in the evening. So after opening day i will switch to my sml, i may switch between it and a Knight UL or Accura, and hunt every possible opportunity thru January 1st. Im hoping to get my lease-mates kids to shoot a ML at some point. Get them while theyre young and impressionable.

Tennessee muzzleloader season is my favorite hunting time of the year. Shot my tow largest bucks during this season. It starts the first weekend in November and last for two weeks. Must be inline, percussion, flintlock, modern, traditional, etc...Load from the muzzle. This extra season coincides pretty much with the rut, some years like this one sees seeking and chasing, but others wide open.

TWRA is talking about straight wall cartridges but not sure it will happen for the 24/25 season. In my opinion, if it does, then sales of muzzleloaders will decline some but a lot of hunters will keep using them due to costs. There will probably be some pretty good prices on used muzzleloaders from hunters buying straight wall cartridge rifles.

Latest posts

Back