Questions about my new Super 91

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy-
Newbie here and newborn White owner. I’ve got a Knight Disc but needed another rifle for my dad to use for an upcoming elk hunt. I got this RMEF edition Super 91 (possibly unfired) to fit the bill, and have been spinning with all the reading there is on it. But I haven’t come across how to use the sling?! I don’t see how to adjust it, which makes me think this may be some sort of shooting sling, rather than just a shoulder sling?
Also, I’ve heard mention that bedding these rifles is a good idea. Mine has a rather thin recoil “blade” and small round receiver for the front action screw. Do folks pillar bed these rifles? Any tips for bedding these composite stocks? I assume bedding the barrel is out with the lower rib…
Thanks, I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions.

I assume that was the one on GunBroker with the grey stock? A lot of guys glass bed their White rifles and as well as have larger recoil lugs installed. As far as the sling goes, Im not sure. Someone here will have the answer. A lot of knowledgeable White owners here. Welcome to forum.

This is what I did to my G Series White Whitetail. The Super91 sling takes a little while to get use to. You have to pull one one strap to lengthen it and one to tighten it up. I personally don't like it, but I use it.

Here are a couple of pictures of the square lug I installed on my White Whitetail. I would definitely glass bed the action if you add the square lug or not. You may reach out to Doc and see if he has any extra square lugs.
IMG_0183.PNGIMG_0182.PNG

Yes, it was on gunbroker. A bit of rust on the action screw and underside of action, otherwise pretty new. Thanks for the heads up on how to use the sling, it isn’t very obvious. I sent Doc an email asking if he had anymore of the lugs.

This is what I did to my G Series White Whitetail. The Super91 sling takes a little while to get use to. You have to pull one one strap to lengthen it and one to tighten it up. I personally don't like it, but I use it.

Here are a couple of pictures of the square lug I installed on my White Whitetail. I would definitely glass bed the action if you add the square lug or not. You may reach out to Doc and see if he has any extra square lugs.
View attachment 21352View attachment 21353
Did you replace a round lug with this square lug, or drill it out and sit it over the original round lug?
Is the consensus that even bedded the original recoil lug isn’t stout enough for the recoil?

Well, with Doc’s passing and my hunt 1.5 months away, I think I’m going to just bed the rifle for now and shoot it. It has the thin recoil blade and a small round lug at both action screws. Question is, what bedding compound to use on this stock? It’s a bell & Carlson.

Attachments

• 981EC532-AE43-461E-A35D-66ABD6B1BAA9.jpeg
    981EC532-AE43-461E-A35D-66ABD6B1BAA9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 24C783ED-7178-413A-922A-D3090491217A.jpeg
    24C783ED-7178-413A-922A-D3090491217A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 0A9036F8-0AD5-4F57-B46B-10441165F08E.jpeg
    0A9036F8-0AD5-4F57-B46B-10441165F08E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I’ve used several including Acraglas, JB Weld and JB Kwik. They have worked fine. Devcon putty or Marine Tex are also highly recommended and I plan to use one of those on one of my Whites one day soon.

As for the recoil pad,you can buy slip on pads that work great.They run $12-$14 dollars.Measure the width and length of the one on there and go from there.I put them on a couple pf my muzzleloaders because I wanted to keep them as original as I could.

I don’t think I need to replace the recoil pad. Mostly curious if anyone is familiar with this stock material and if acraglas or jb weld will adhere well to it.

I had Doc replace the trigger and change the lugs on my s91 to bigger square lugs(welded them in place) and then bed it in a B&C stock. No pillars, what ever he used is black. Might be JB Weld?

Howdy-
Newbie here and newborn White owner. I’ve got a Knight Disc but needed another rifle for my dad to use for an upcoming elk hunt. I got this RMEF edition Super 91 (possibly unfired) to fit the bill, and have been spinning with all the reading there is on it. But I haven’t come across how to use the sling?! I don’t see how to adjust it, which makes me think this may be some sort of shooting sling, rather than just a shoulder sling?
Also, I’ve heard mention that bedding these rifles is a good idea. Mine has a rather thin recoil “blade” and small round receiver for the front action screw. Do folks pillar bed these rifles? Any tips for bedding these composite stocks? I assume bedding the barrel is out with the lower rib…
Thanks, I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions.
Yes they should be glass bed but I would suggest getting someone that has experience on the whites to talk to or help out

I am trying to educate myself on all things White Muzzleloader related since Ihave never owned one before now.

instead of starting a new thread I figured I would ask my questions here. On one of my Super 91's the forward round lug (near the recoil "blade" has been welded in place. On the other Super-91 it has not. Neither of the rifles have the large square lug being discussed in this thread.

What issues can I expect with a NON bedded rifle? What improvement will bedding the recoil lugs provide for me? I have never done that type of gunsmithing before.

The round lug design is weaker due to shallow dovetail and weak brazing. They at times break free under heavy recoil I would definitely glass bed that one. The square welded lug has more surface area and better due to more contact helps keep everything lined up and squared in the action and barrel channel not to mention it goes deeper into the wood still should be bed but much easier and stronger than the little round lug. Send a pic of your lug and the inside of your stock so we can see what's up a little better.

here are photos of both.

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpeg
    IMG_1834.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1835.jpeg
    IMG_1835.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1836.jpeg
    IMG_1836.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Put the stock in a gun vise set action in no screws one hand on top of action other grab barrel try to slide back and forth see if it moves back and forth then if it moves backwards push all the way back and try to start action screws. If it slides around and screws don't line up I would bed it.

Back