Question for consideration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich M

Reaction score
I have a question: (not trying to pick a fight - just want clarification)

Most guys seem to shoot off of gun rests/holders - they hold the front and back of the gun, all the shooter really does is squeeze the trigger and saok up the recoil. Everyone is looking for a 1/2 minute group at 100 yds.

How does this reflect a person's capabilities versus shooting with a sling or just plain holding the gun?

Am I reading this wrong where it is all about the bullets/loads and not the actual abilities?

What's your take on this?

Using a rest is for getting the best accuracy out of a rifle. In other words seeing what it can do and for sighting in. For muzzleloaders or reloaders it's a good tool in load development.

It does not reflect how accurate a shooter is in field positions.

I use a rest when sighting in to get the point of impact as precise as possible.

When the time comes to shoot off hand that precise point of impact gives you a margin for error (IMHO)

It removes as much of the human element as possible and still allows me to have fun.

Also bench shooting is much more than holding and squeezing.

using a rest shows you the rifle and the loads potential. After that you need practice from whatever positions you will shoot at game from.

While I do a lot of bench shooting.. this is more for enjoyment and load development. After working the bench I know just about to the inch, what that rifle and load will do. Then I switch to shooting sticks and shoot a lot of rounds with shooting sticks. I also do tree leaning shooting. Finally I will practice off hand shooting, but this might sound strange but in the last several deer I have shot.. all have been off some kind of support, whether a rest, sticks, or a tree... I kind of have talked myself out of shooting off hand unless there is no other choice. Only because when I shoot off hand, I see what kind of poor shot I really am. :(

Bench shooting allows you to maximize the scope/load/projectile combination so that when you go into the field, if you miss, it's your own fault! There's nothing worse than going into the field, missing, and wondering if something is off with your gun.

You can't do load development while shooting from unfixed positions. Well, you can but its a waste of time and money. Find out what the gun likes, then shoot from hunting positions.

I mix them up, I set a swinging target at 100 yards and while I am waiting for the barrel to cool down from load development, I shoot a 22 lr at the swinger from offhand or offhand using shooting sticks. The light recoil lets me work on just sight picture and trigger control.

My wife asked me the same thing when we were sighting her gun in last season. I tried to explain it to her like this....

My reason for shooting from a dead solid rest is to find what components (powder/primer/bullet/sabot) the GUN will shoot best, at a measured distance (no less than 100 yards) and in fairly calm conditions. Lets say for example we have two guns, doesnt matter what brand...we will call them gun 1 and gun 2.
Gun 1 puts 5 shots into a 3/4" group at 100 yards.
Gun 2 puts 5 shots into a 6" group at 100 yards.
Which gun do you think your going to feel more confident with when shooting under less than ideal conditions such as not having a solid rest, or no rest at all?
Lets say also that (like my loving wife decided) you decide it would be better to sight your gun in kneeling and shooting offhand or with a sling just like when I'll be hunting you say (like she did) and you proceed to shoot a mighty fine shotgun pattern group that measures about 8" or more. Was it you or the gun or the components you used that gave you that spread out pattern? The simplest way to find out is to take as much of YOU out of the picture as you can...put it on a rest and find out the potential of you, your gun, and components.

shootin

Besides load development and removin any doubts about equipment it teaches control that also works with offhand shootin and huntin. Last of all its just plain fun. My muzzleloaders and a lot of the guys on this forums guns can out shoot a bunch of center fire rifles out to 200 yds. This is not a brag , just statin a fact. When they get the opportunity they can take advantage of it in the woods rather than complain about their equip. With all that said I shoot poorly offhand and try to have some kind of a rest available when ever I can. I do practice off hand but with out the adrenalin pumpin it ain't the same.
Wayles

Re: shootin

wayles said:
I do practice off hand but with out the adrenalin pumpin it ain't the same.
Wayles

run about a 100yard sprint and back, then shoot. it gets the heart pumping and teaches you to control your breathing before the shot, close to mimicking the adrenaline in the field. just make sure you tell whoever your shooting with before you do it so they don't think you just took off :lol:

shootin

I wouldn't get in but 1 shot a session because I would have to nap.
Wayles

I use a rest to maximise my guns potential for when I get to the field. If I know that my gub is shooting an inch group off a rest at the club, then I know what is possible when I reach the field. I am a strong believer in ethical hunting. It is therefor critical that I know what my rifle and my own potentials are in ideal circumstances. This in turn allows me to make decisions in the field that are best for the animal that I may be harvesting. Not best for me if you get what I am saying. Just because I shoot an inch group with a 300WSM doesnt mean that if I see a mooses eye through the bush I should take the shot.

Back