production percussion rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im looking into getting a new percussion rifle. what twist do i neeed in 50 caliber to shoot heavy cast bullets i have 420s 460s and some other molds. also who makes the best production rifle?

If you're gonna shoot conicals that weigh over 400 grains, I'd definitely recommend a 1:28 twist barrel, or maybe even a 1:24. I don't have enough experience to recommend one production percussion rifle over another, though.

Keep your eyes peeled for a Green Mountain LRH barrel. They are 1-28 twist in the 50 cal. They pretty much drop right into a TC Renegade or Hawken stock. This barrel will make you smile with the conical range that you mentioned. Don’t be shocked at the asking prices though.

im looking into getting a new percussion rifle. what twist do i neeed in 50 caliber to shoot heavy cast bullets i have 420s 460s and some other molds. also who makes the best production rifle?
By ''percussion rifle'' do you mean sidelock. If so you might have a hard time finding one with a 1-28 twist. Pendersoli has the Hawken Hunter with a 1-24 twist I believe. You can sometimes get the heavy lead conicals to shoot good from a 1-48'' twist barrel as well.

Latest posts

Back