Problems with 1847 Colt Walker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to be sorry, what revolver are you using them on? I just gave away a tin of #10 CCI's that have been in the shop for 10 + yrs because they can't be used on anything that's been through here.
Maybe you could post a picture of this revolver of yours?

Mike
I know that I have got nipples that work for 10ns it's a Traditions cva navy colt 44 that I got it from gander mountain a while back I can't find caps for the thing I want to get different nipples for it to shoot larger caps I don't know where to even buy them and what length to get.

I think you @45D that you suggest a shim between the hammer and the wall that can deflect the cap?

I had an additional frightening issue. One of my unfired caps came loose and jammed the cylinder from turning. Of course it was on a loaded cylinder! Right above the hammer where it usually fired the cap. Stuck there! The cylinder would not rotate backwards and was stuck where it rotated forward since the unfired cap was stuck. Hammer would not move either. The whole thing was stuck.

I was concerned that it might accidently discharge and the cylinder was not in battery, not lined up in the barrel. I very carefully took a thin blade knife and got it loose, all the while that it could have discharged the cap and fired the cylinder.

Not sure what I could do about in the future?

Last edited:
Ive never had any problems with caps in my Walker. Only ones I've used are 10s. Either Remington or CCI. The only problem I had was after the third shot the cylinder was getting harder and harder to turn. I would spit down in between the cylinder and barrel on the arbor. It helped some. The next 6 rounds I put as much grease/wax mix on the arbor and that helped a lot. Went down to 45gr 3f, .454 ball and the problem stopped. Yep I was using 60gr or as much as I could get in it and .452 ball. That was way back when I got my first Walker.

Back