Power Stem Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsasc

Reaction score
Does / has anyone used the power stem breech plug in their rifle? I do have a 52 cal Extreme and i do have the stuff to convert to bare nipple.....just waiting on the shims, but would love to get out and shoot this thing. I have not shot it since i got it. If i was to use this plug, what powder...how much....and what else do i need to know? A couple guys are trying to assist me with the conversion but I've been so limited on time to do it. I just want to at least shoot this darn thing!!

Thanks, Greg

Greg I use to shoot the power stem - In its day it was an advancement. It will not reliably shoot BH but any of the other subs it should work well. I shot T7 with it.

I use to shoot 120 gr. V of T7-2f with a 300 grain bullet. Do you have sabots for the 52?

Thanks and yes, I have 6 packages of the Knight red hots 350gr. saboted rounds. So you're saying 120 grains of the t7?

With T7 120gr Vol - should work just fine with that bullet. The recoil might be another problem - might try 110 by vol to start with.

This ballistic sheet might give you an ideal of what you might be doing. This is for 375 grain bullet.

375-Ballistic.jpg

This is a sample target - but only at 50 yards

12-27-KDEx52cal.jpg

I shot the powerstem in my 50. I shot good with it in but the powder build up was too much to deal with. It's collecting dust as we speak.

I cant remember the minimum load with the Powerstem but i think they recommended 130gr by volume of Triple7 in a 52cal. The powder has to go past the stem. Smaller bores can more than likely use less.

Dont even bother using it with BH209 since you got the bare primer plug too. It will give you nothing but headaches. Bare primer is 100 times more reliable igniting BH209.

Have you tried using the bare primer plug yet?...If you get sticky primers when fired just recock and fire it again on the spent primer. Most of the time its all thats needed to get the primer out. Sure it will leak a little but it will ignite T7 with ease and should still ignite BH209.

Back