Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Ok, I retired from hunting a while back. Of course I can't stick to that. I'll still be hunting when i'm in a wheelchair. So, I have a question about powders. I've used real black powder in sidelocks all my life. The inlines i've owned I used BH209. I just bought a new Optima because I have to use a scope now and refuse to put a scope on a sidelock. Plus, a sidelock with a scope would be too heavy for this old man.

Now to the question. A few years ago I had surgery on my cheek to remove skin cancer. It turned out to be worse than they thought and ended up hacking my face up pretty good. Something happen to the nerves and my cheek is pretty sensitive now. A stock banging my cheek is not fun. For that reason I don't want to use BH this time. It has a sharp recoil. You won't notice it if you don't have any problems but I do. T7 is similar. As is Swiss powder. I need a softer shooting powder. I thought of just using Goex but it would be nice to just buy a powder at the local gun shop. So, the only one I can get is Pyrodex. I've never used it and know nothing about it. I know a big complaint is it pretty corrosive. I bought a Nitride Optima, so i'm not worreied about corrosion. I hunt timber and don't need to take long shots. 100yd would be a long shot. Not sure on a bullet yet. I'm interested in the new Hornady Bore Driver. I'm only hunting deer from now on. Hell, I might even try a Powerbelt. I won't need as heavy a charge of powder with those. I might have to shoot the Hornady faster to get expansion. Accuracy is important.

So, fill me in. Will Pyrodex work ok. Tell me about it. I don't care about having to swab a lot. I'm used to real black powder. It will smell like real black and I like the smell. Smoke? It's a muzzleloader and they should smoke. Whatcha think?

I would stik with black as you can still order on line (Powder inc) will ship as little as 5LBS to your door ,just hurry up! And I might suggest OE in my mind a really affordable high end powder 2F and sounds like you are familiar with cleanup /Ed

eekjellander

I tried OE. It had the sharp recoil of Swiss. Some good old Goex 2F will be softer to shoot. My cheek is really sensitive. I want to be comfortable shooting or I might start to flinch.

What don't you like about Pyrodex?

I have used pyrodex, triple 7 and BH209 over the years they all have some recoil. Pyrodex might be just a tad softer, but not much or that noticeable, just less of a "push" if you will.

A normal cheek won't notice what I do. I used to shoot a 458 mag for fun before my operation. You couldn't pay me enough to shoot one now.

eekjellander

I tried OE. It had the sharp recoil of Swiss. Some good old Goex 2F will be softer to shoot. My cheek is really sensitive. I want to be comfortable shooting or I might start to flinch.

What don't you like about Pyrodex?
Was going to also suggest OE 1 1/2 F as it is definitly softer in the 74 Sharps and I have used it in my long range 45/ 1-18 twist Renegade but did not know if you would have interest . That powder I do have some experience in 100 + LBS ,Pyrodex I will not have any as I am not interested in less . Just a bias (admitted) and proving you can not teach this old dog new tricks if I"m happy with the old ones/Ed

I wish you the Best Pete :lewis: But i predict an Optima will be in the Classifieds before Long, Possibly before it’s ever Fired :) We go through this same thing at least once a Year.

I wish you the Best Pete :lewis: But i predict an Optima will be in the Classifieds before Long, Possibly before it’s ever Fired :) We go through this same thing at least once a Year.

I agree it's a vicious circle but I really want to go hunting again and will do my best to make it happen this time. I'm trying to make the gun as comfortable as possible to shoot and the hunt itself not too hard. I used to have a Lakota Indian friend that would haul out the meat. He's back in So Dakota for good now, so i'm on my own with a crappy back to get the meat out. I have 2 deer points that will get me a doe tag and might be smarter than a buck. The doe will not only be less meat but I won't have the mountain climbing i'd have to do to get a buck. I'm closing in on 80 and i'm really slowing down. Too stubborn or stupid to quit.

Last edited:
Hell, I might even try a Powerbelt. I won't need as heavy a charge of powder with those.

While it might not be my choice, the Aerolite 250gr and a pretty common load of Pyrodex should offer pretty low recoil and mediocre performance for deer. Not a load i would even consider for elk though.

While it might not be my choice, the Aerolite 250gr and a pretty common load of Pyrodex should offer pretty low recoil and mediocre performance for deer. Not a load i would even consider for elk though.

My thought exactly. It's not the one shot taken while hunting but I like to practice a lot during the year. I'd like to enjoy it all.

You could also use the other cheek. If you are right handed switch to left hand. A scope makes this easy. I have done this when I have had major dental surgery.

I agree it's a vicious circle but I really want to go hunting again and will do my best to make it happen this time. I'm trying to make the gun as comfortable as possible to shoot and the hunt itself not too hard. I used to have a Lakota Indian friend that would haul out the meat. He's back in So Dakota for good now, so i'm on my own with a crappy back to get the meat out. I have 2 deer points That will get me a doe tag and might be smarter than a buck. The doe will not only be less meat but I won't have the mountain climbing i'd have to do to get a buck. I'm closing in on 80 and i'm really slowing down. Too stubborn or stupid to quit.

I sincerely wish you the very best, and hope you can get back out there and Hunt again. None of us are getting any younger, if we don’t get out there and make it happen, it’s over before ya know it. Old age, Arthritis, Etc. Is a BOOGER, and unavoidable. We just gotta do the Best we can :lewis:

For Deer, think a lightweight Bullet like GM54 just mentioned, with Light powder Charges. Put it through their “Living Room” You prefer to hunt in Close, you don’t need a BIG STOUT, Shoulder/Cheek Stomping Load. I hope you are able to get out there & Enjoy it again Pete! :lewis:

You could also use the other cheek. If you are right handed switch to left hand. A scope makes this easy. I have done this when I have had major dental surgery.

I only wish I could. I shot right handed all my life. 9 years ago I lost the sight in my right eye. So, it's lefty only now.

The problem is scope alignment. Not much room to add anything with the Optima. I almost got the Wolf so i'd have room to do this. Instead I decided to get the Optima and work on a softer load to shoot.

I have a hard time recommending that load but under the circumstances and your ML season regs it might be one of the better options. We can certainly do better if you used it in the firearms season with sabots. Full bore light recoil (other than a light loaded PRB) choices are pretty slim.

Yes, that's why i'm considering the Aerolite and Pyro. I can use Goex and know it will shoot soft. I'm hoping it will feel the same with Pyro. It's a lot cheaper to walk into the gun shop and buy one $20 bottle of Pyro than order 5 lbs of Goex and pay shipping and hazmat fees. I'd like to know it's all going to work before buying 5 lbs of powder.

We have a new manager in my building. She gets all the packages we receive. I'm not sure how she'll react when I get a package that says Explosive all over the box?

to me pyrodex is about the softest shooting powder compared to all mentioned, its more of a shove then a hard rap.. 240 gr xtp and 75-80 gr pyro rs pretty light recoil. Or if you have to a light powerbelt with said charges.

We can't use sabots here. I'd use one if I could. I'd have to hunt in rifle seasons to use sabots. The muzzy season is in mid Sept and a really nice time of year to hunt in the Colorado Rockies. Plus, it's not crowded like the rifle season hunts. I'll use a PB just to hunt the muzzy season.

With that said. I still have the option to use the Hornady Bore Driver bullets when they come out. It's 290gr but that will be ok. I want to see some reviews on it before deciding. One advantage of the Aerolite is I know it will be accurate in the Optima.

Back