Powder Size question 54 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Okay, I've bugged ya'll to death and decided to use real black powder for my 54 Renegade, especially since I have a LOT of 2F.

But I keep seeing this and that in the way of new powders and may not be able to resist Shockeys gold powder. Question is if I do something dumb and buy more powder to play with along the way-- I'd assume 2F for the 54, but want opinions. 3f maybe?

I'm thinking that 3F might get too much pressure in a 54??

Though I'm not at all sure I know how this "blackpowder" works for sure. Seems like smaller diameter uses smaller powder and so on...

Enlighten me before I go to the friggin big city tommorrow nite and have to snoop in Bass Pro and might not resist...

Thanks, Jeff

Seems like smaller diameter uses smaller powder and so on...
That's about how it works. 45 and less use 3F, 50 and bigger use 2F. It's a rule of thumb but doesn't always give you your best accuracy. Some guys use 3F in a 50. I've used 3F 777 in a 54 but only 75 gr and only due to ignition problems. Using real black I think you'lll be fine with 2F.

I have used a Renegade .54 cal since 1981 using either 90 or 100 grains of FFF. I used to shoot maxiballs, but now shoot Buffalo Ballets. I never had a problem with the FFF.

Good luck!

One of my Huntin Buddies uses a 54 Renagade, his 'Elk' load for Round Balls is 120FFF.

2F with the same load didn't group as well.

Latest posts

Back