Powder scales

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Could someone recommend a good powder scale sufficient to weigh my 777 loads that will not be very costly? I would appreciate some help with this as I am uninformed in this area. Maybe someones got a real good deal?
spit

If you want a good cheap scale go with a beam type scale. They are more accurate also. Be sure to weigh your volumetric charges. For example 80 gr. of FFG 777 by weight equals 100 gr. FFG by volume. Work up your loads with volume charges then weigh a number of charges and average them to detemine your weighed charge. Then shoot some groups with the weighed charges and you should see smaller groups at the range. The biggest advantage of weighed vs. volume is consistant charges from shot to shot.

Cabelas had some reasonable deals on scales in their reloading catalog. I assume that if you go to their web site, and look at what scles they have that the prices will be close to what they were in the reloading catalog.

Also as Patric said the beam scales will be more accurate. I would suggest the Lee safety scale.

Spitpatch said:
Could someone recommend a good powder scale sufficient to weigh my 777 loads that will not be very costly?

I'd get a PACT digital from Midway, and be done with it. They are cheaper now than ever before.

Spit,

I bot this one from Cabelas last year. Price is about $79 and very simple is use. I'm not into reloading and was looking for something just for weighing ML charges. It certainly filled the bill. Got the Model EG 1500

i214973sq01.jpg

EG 1500 Electronic Digital Scale
Our digital scale offers the extreme precision required to create loads that consistently deliver unsurpassed at-the-range or in-the-field accuracy. Precise to the nearest 1/10 of a grain over its entire 1,500-grain capacity. Operates on either a 9-volt battery or 110-volt AC with the included adapter. Also includes powder pan and two calibration weights.

Loggy said:
Spit,

I bot this one from Cabelas last year. Price is about $79 and very simple is use. I'm not into reloading and was looking for something just for weighing ML charges. It certainly filled the bill. Got the Model EG 1500

i214973sq01.jpg

EG 1500 Electronic Digital Scale
Our digital scale offers the extreme precision required to create loads that consistently deliver unsurpassed at-the-range or in-the-field accuracy. Precise to the nearest 1/10 of a grain over its entire 1,500-grain capacity. Operates on either a 9-volt battery or 110-volt AC with the included adapter. Also includes powder pan and two calibration weights.

I've got one of those too. I use it for weighing powder charges to get a weight. Then I use my beam scale to weigh out the powder. It's more accurate than the electronic.

I bought the same one Patrick and Loggy did. I find that I have to calibrate the thing about every 30 minutes or so in use. Check it out guys,,,and see if you're getting the same dilema. After awhile go back to the gram setting and see how far it's off using the calibration weights. I'm using the digital basically to weigh my cast bullets. I use a RCBS beam scale when I'm reloading, and do use the digital ever so often to double check the powder weights. UC's link looks like a good deal though.

Batchief909
I have seen the same thing with that scale. I purchased it less than a month ago, and the only time I ever used it I found out it was off 1/2 grain by the time I was finished reloading. Either that, or it was only accurate to within 1/2 grain the entire time. All I know for sure was that I checked the 1st charge, and last charge on my beam scales and there was exactly 1/2 grain difference between those 2. Who knows how much the other 150 charges that I weighed that night varried.

I guess that I should say 148 charges since I loaded 150 rounds weighing the 1st and last charge on the beam scales.

Batchief909 said:
I bought the same one Patrick and Loggy did. I find that I have to calibrate the thing about every 30 minutes or so in use.

Bad / low battery is the reason-- at least in my RCBS.

Bad / low battery is the reason-- at least in my RCBS.

Nope! This is using the 120v adapter. Actually it seems to hold better on battery power. I just know it's a pain in the ass to have to check calibration every so often. When your weighing bullets, it's really no huge deal,,,but when it comes to weighing powder,,,it could be catastrophic if you're on the edge of a potent load. Cabelas might be getting this one back.

Loggy and Patrick,,,,calibrate your scales after about a 5 minute warm up period. Play around with it for awhile, and recheck calibration after 30-45 minutes or so, and wiegh your calibration weights again, and see what you get. I've had as much as 1.2gr. difference when weighing bullets. That isn't too devistating with bullets,,,but it could be when weighing powder for 45/70 loads.

Batchief,
Just weigh one of the weights on grains right after calibration and check it every now and then. That's what I did when I used it to weigh powder.

I did that. The problem I am seeing is after about 30-45 minutes,,,the weights differed quite a bit. Try what I posted above, and see what happens. Once you get the thing calibrated,,,it should hold,,with everything else being consistant,,ie, air movement,,,etc.

Thanks Chief for heads-up. I never had that problem and weighed a few hundred so far. I do recheck at certain intervals with the weights and its always dead on. I use ac adapter also.

I would send it back to Cabelas...they are great about returns with no questions asked per my xperience.

That's why I quit using it for weighing powder. I hated to weigh my powder multiple times. I use a cheap beam scale now for weighing out powder. It's only issue is it's harder to weigh numbers that fall in between 10's. 40 (50 gr Volume Hawkeye) and 80 (100 gr volume Omega/Extreme) are what I'm using in powder charges now. I'll have to look at another one a little higher priced to see if there's an easier one to use for that.

It would probably be good enough for weighing BP or substitutes,,,but when they guarantee you this type of precision..

Precise to the nearest 1/10 of a grain over its entire 1,500-grain capacity.

You oughta get it.

When using a smokeless load, and when reloading, you need something you can trust. I just don't trust this Cabelas scale anymore. I sent them an email about this problem,,,we'll see what they have to say. I also realize that it's just an $80 scale,,,but the damn thing oughtta hold it's calibration for more than half an hour.

Back