Powder Horn, fun project ( I think)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokin' Joe said:
Just about finished!!  End cap is pine stained with Laurel Mountain Forge - Nut Brown and a dab of liquid Ritz dye to add a little black color. Joe
GREAT JOB!!!!! Can't wait to see it with a strap and all rarin' to go.
Stoney
nhjVnY.jpg

vqZnJB.jpg

TfR90Y.jpg

I cheated on mine. I used a DA and 80 grit to get it smooth, then progressed to 320.Wet sanded 400 and 600, and buffed. I thought it looked pretty good about 30 years ago.

-Joe

Joe that horn looks like ya ben doing it for years.Now make a blowing horn with the other one.
Renasonce wax is good for a seeler.

Roaddog

Thanks guys!

Joe, I would cheat on my next one too!  Although I would finish it by scraping to get the look of old I would do all the hard work of getting the scale off similar to your method. :D  The strap lobes made it harder to fit the end cap because I didn't have a forming cone. The horn is so thick that boiling it in water never really softened it anyway. Not enough heat, but it worked out.

Actually it was fairly easy.  The horn was nearly round to start with.  I measure the circumference and it was about 2 -13/16".  I took a compass and put the circle on the pine block.  Went to my 12" disc sander, angled the table down slightly which coned the cap.  I sanded, checked the fit. When the cap would fit in the horn a good 3/4's of the way in.  I then put the butt end of the horn in boiling water but it never did get pliable, not hot enough.  I got tired of waiting and finally removed it, while still hot, smeared some Titebond Wood glue to the inside of the horn and the out side edge of the cap.  I put a piece of cardboard on top of the cap to protect it and tapped it in place with a rubber mallet.  Almost forgot....I preyed a little that I would NOT break the cap in two from tapping with the hammer. :^)

1. I should of used cooking oil or heat gun to heat the horn to get it a little pliable
2. A forming cone would of made the horn perfectly round when it cooled.  Easier to fit the cap.

But like I said in my previous post,  "it worked out just fine".

this is how i do powder horns for what it is worth. sand smooth up 1500 grit. glue a hard wood plug in the big end. file and sand flat. drill the bottom end to fit the kind of plug you want. to get a good finish stain with leather dye as you would a good piece of wood. wash excess off and dry. spray light coats of a clear car top coat acrilic. dry good and polish with HUTS plastic polish. thats one way to do it. works good for me.

Thanks Strong Eagle but I didn't want it looking quite that pretty.  I wanted it to look like it has been used for awhile.  I don't want everyone to know that I'm a "tenderfoot" at this.   :D

Strap came in today so here is the finished horm:

zLibAs.jpg

1ntTkC.jpg

Joe
 GREAT job.... FANTASTIC!!! Did you pray a lot when you were drilling the pour spout hole? I seem to Vent the horn a lot when I make them while drilling that hole. I found a way to fix that issue if I do it by accident, but I'd rather NOT vent the horn if I can help it. GREAT job again buddy. I knew you could do it .
Stoney

Thanks for the confidence! 

I paid a lot of attention to the angle I was drilling on the pour spout.  I started out with a small bit and went up one size at a time. The pour spout "plug" is actually tapered.  So I used the tang end of a file last to gently taper the hole.

Joe
 I used to be a custom Guitar builder so I bought a crap load of extra long drill bits over the years for running pickup wires through the bodies. They've come in very handy in Horn and knife handle making, but I still screw up every now and again with the pour spout holes. :(
GREAT job. I hope to see more in the future.
Stoney

drilled through the side of my horn today. 3 1/2" + of solid horn and the wrong angle.

Frontier Gander
 I'll tell you how to correct that, if you're interested?
Stoney

I trashed it already. Making one out of a pronghorn antelope horn instead!!

Back