Working up a load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwooddan

Reaction score
Was curious how everyone works up a load for accuracy in the ML? either RB or conical if it matters. Seems pretty simple, for the .50CAL Hawkens 50grs min - 110grs(?) FFG max. go in 5-10gr increments.

Basically that is the way I do it. With a .50 caliber I like to start out at 70 grains and a round ball. So I start there and work up the load. Normally in a Hawkins rifle I find the load accurate around 90 grains of 2f powder.

With conicals, more is not better. I start them at 50 grains and then work them up. A lot of times I find that 70 grains is a good load. It all depends on the conical I am shooting.

My Renegade likes 80 grains of FFG 777 and the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet.

It actually likes the same 777 load and a 450 grain flat nose from Precision Rifle better but that bullet is no longer available. This doesn't bother me to much since I could only handle about 10 rounds of this load per session anyway.

I started with lighter conicals and worked my way up to these. Every time I tried a little heavier bullet the groups got tighter. Now it shoots about 1.5" groups at 50 yards using a peep sight.

I can't see the target well enought at 100 yards with sighting system so I am looking at a scope of some sort. When that goes on then I will have another excuse to burn more powder.

Latest posts

Back