Pro-Hunter and Blackhorn...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
Not too good... It was about 80 today but I did let the barrel cool, I just don't know? With 100 and 120 grain loads and the 300 Nosler ( which this gun shot into a 5/8" 100 yard group with JSG ) I could only get 2.5" today?????? This is the last TC I own, maybe I'll just sell out and become a 100% Knight man... :shock:

Don't be silly.

Did the first bullet/sabot powder combination you ever tried with T7 in that rifle shoot MOA? If it did, you're luckier than I have ever been.

Ya gotta give em what they like. They're like kids.

Not at all that surprising it is different with this powder. This powder is different from every other BP sub that has come before it in just about every way. Well, outside of the fact that it creates smoke.

My 50 cal Elite shoots 250 gr Expanders sub MOA with 100gr T7. 100 gr of BH209 more than doubled the group size.

I will abandon the bullet or sabot before I abandon the powder. It may be something as simple as inc/dec the charge. It takes time. Ya just gotta play with it. I haven't revisited the 50 bc I'm having too much fun with my 45s.

To get to a point that I am happy with accuracy out of the BH209 took me half a dozen trips to the range, two different bullets, 3 different bullet weigts, two different sabots, and three different charge weights.

This is similar to what I have seen it take to work up a smokeless load.

Ok guys I know one bullet and one sabot is not even close to what is needed. With that in mind though, I was expecting a little better than that. Loaded with three Shockey's gold Stick's (go figure?) the 300 grain Nosler in a HPH 24 shot a 5/8" 100 yard group in this gun, so I know the gun likes the bullet/sabot.

No, you know that rifle likes that bullet/sabot & POWDER combination.

When loading for a centerfire, would you ever switch propellents and expect the same results?

IMHO, BP and previous BP subs were close enough together that things were a little more "plug and play."

I don't think this is going to necessaraly be the case anymore.

Yeah, you need to match the bullet to the powder, Also works the other way around.

My .45 Apex will shoot the 285g great plains conicals very well with Pyrodex P, but you load pyrodex select and you'll be pulling your hair out because it shoots so horrible.

Now you add a 195g or 275g powerbelt with pyrodex select, You're sipping iced tea and enjoying your self.

Nimrod, I hear ya but your preaching to the little old lady up front... I have stuffed a round or two down the tube. You are 100% right, Blackhorn is not like any BP sub before so it will take some range time. My only point was any rational person would start with a bullet/sabot combo that has shot well in the past... I'll bet you loaded your .50 Elite with that sub moa Barnes bullet your first time out with BH... :wink:

Correct you are Flint, correct you are...

After which my hunting partner responded to me "what, you didn't think it was going to be that easy did ya." :x

Latest posts

Back