Blackhorn 209: a small review.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbrian

Reaction score
This is for those who haven't taken the Blackhorn plunge. I'll begin with a conclusion: It's awesome powder!
Blackhorn has been compared with smokeless, but I cannot see many similarities other than non corrossive.
I examined the sabot bases of my fired rounds and they all looked like ones that had been pushed by black powder or triple 7. The bases just weren't stressed at all like they would be with even a mild load (42 g) of VV 110 or IMR5749. They look different. And the recoil is (to me) more of a slow push than the sharp, quick recoil of smokeless. And the sound of the report, or the BOOM! is much different. The Blackhorn sounds much more like black powder....deeper...more cannon-like. Smokeless is a sharp crack. This is just my observations.
I'm not comparing the two for "one's better than the other" reasons. I'm merely trying to satisfy curiosity, if there is any.
You will not be disappointed with your first bottle of blackhorn. I'll bet ya. Happy shooting everyone. If I get my yard mowed in time, I may try some extended range shooting this evening. Let the smoke fly! :lol:

kevinbrian
Just in case you would like to have the info. I have a set up that includes a strain gage and double Texas transducers it does not read out in PSI but in relative strain with a 100 gr by vol. load and a 250 gr bullet all components and same gun used in tests the BH 209 reads out right between Pryodex RS and 777-FF , while this is a home made rig it gave me good service when I was custom building varmint rifles in wild cat calibers, now I have it set up on a TC inline. Some how I had the feeling this would be interesting to you an other point of interest to me and maybe to you is that the peak pressure starts at close to the same point but extends several inches farther down the barrel. The pressure characteristics of this powder are quite different than any other powder I have checked. Now I better quit I am sure this view point with its technical aspects is boreing to most. Lee

Lee 9 said:
an other point of interest to me and maybe to you is that the peak pressure starts at close to the same point but extends several inches farther down the barrel.
Lee that is awesome info! Did you mean that the peak pressure starts at close to the same point as Triple 7? And instead of a sharp spike, it sort of plateaus for several inches? That is interesting.

Right, the only way I can ascertain that is by moveing the transducers down the barrel but I do have three set positions that I check thats the way I have always set it up. I dont think most people are interested in relative pressures but I got interested when I was building wildcats and developeing loads for them and when I switched to muzzle loaders I kept a certain amout of interest in them. It is possable to get higher velocites by haveing a lower peak pressure for longer [as in compareing to 777] and though the pressure is higher than RS the velocity is vary similar to 777-FFF.
The longer lower pressure peak should make it stable with a wider varity of loads to. Lee

Lee, I'm sending you a PM concerning further observations after shooting this morning. Kevin

Here's the best review that I can give: I just ordered two more bottles from Grafs. Great stuff!

One of the other guys in the club that shoots a MZ was down to the rangeso I let him try a few shots now we are going to split a case that will take me back to 11 cans. Lee

kevinbrian said:
Here's the best review that I can give: I just ordered two more bottles from Grafs. Great stuff!

I couldn't have said it better myself! :yeah:

Ohio

Anyone in Ohio want to get together for some of this? I can't find it anywhere so it must need ordering. It looks like a case is best price.

kevinbrian said:

I agree , i ordered two tubs of BH 209 and with shipping and 20.00 haz-mat fee it was 87.00 . :shock: I would not consider paying that if it was not GREAT STUFF . :D :D

The smoke from this stuff smells like real blackpowder! I ran a dry patch thru the bore and smelled of it...sure enough smells like black powder fouling!

Back