Optima problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ontario Gunner

Reaction score
I know I know its an Optima.. Should have bought a TC... But I already own it, have had it for a few years and shoots good enough for me out too 100 yards.

Anyone know if there is a way too pull apart A CVA Optima trigger assemly or the firing pin assembly so I can get at the firing pin channel and firing pin?

Seems I had a little bit of Condensation left on the firing pin last year after an afternoon of hunting in the rain. Now the firing been doesnt want to go back in to the "ready to fire" position. Went too sight in yesterday, threw a primer in it,, when I closed the hinge the primer went off. Openned it up and noticed the firing pin was sticking out. Only way I can get the firing pin too move back is by manually pushing on it.

any ideas?(besides the "you got yourself a new anchor". LOL..)

I would soak the thing up real good with some CLP and see if that removes some of the rust and frees it up a little. Other wise call CVA and ask them what to do, and what to do in the future to avoid this problem again....

"I know I know its an Optima.. Should have bought a TC..." Couldn't have said it better myself. :lol: But on a more serious note try a good penetrating oil something with a good rust buster in it. Maybe Liquid Wrench or a product similar.

Good Luck with it.

Immersed it in liquid wrench for several hours,, seems to be working good now. Going too leave it over night sitting in it, blow it out with compressed air tomorrow and apply liberal amounts of oil!

If it is like my optima you can unscrew the plug that holds the firing pin in and clean it. Just be sure to put a good anti-sieze grease on it before you reassemble it.

Speaking of Optimas, I was at my friends house about a month ago and looked at his, it appears that he put it away last year without cleaning it :eek: Needless to say he doesn't take the best care of his equipment :wink:

I have the same problem with mine but a little different. My firing pin sticks out after the trigger is pulled, this prevents me from opening the action. I got the 30-06 package with it and when I shoot the 30-06, it doesn't have this problem. I think it's because the primers are harder on the centerfire than the 209's. I tried to see if there was any crud on it by removing the 2 screws and it is clean as a whistle. When I look at the face of the receiver, it has the look of being over used from years of shooting. The thing is that it has less than 100 shots through it and was doing this on the first shot. I know I only put 100 grains of powder in it even though it is magnum rated.

I guess I'll have to send it in to CVA to see what they say about it. I should have done more homework on this gun because I hear more bad things than good. I let my wallet do the talking and figured I was getting a deal with 2 barrels.

Get yourself a can of carburetor cleaner. Put the plastic tube on the can nozzle. Push the firing pin back in place. Put the tube against the firing pin hole, and give it to good long blast. Do this OUTDOORS, and turn your head away to prevent any spray from getting in your eyes. You will be surprised at the gunk that comes out of all of the nooks and crannies of the receiver.

My Omega did that to me many weeks ago. I just put some rem oil in the firing pin hole and let it soak up. Did that a few times. Just an over looked area when we clean our rifles.

If you dont feel comfortable with it, just send it to CVA and they'll inspect and fix anything that needs repair for free.

Ontario Gunner said:
I know I know its an Optima.. Should have bought a TC... But I already own it, have had it for a few years and shoots good enough for me out too 100 yards.

Anyone know if there is a way too pull apart A CVA Optima trigger assemly or the firing pin assembly so I can get at the firing pin channel and firing pin?

Seems I had a little bit of Condensation left on the firing pin last year after an afternoon of hunting in the rain. Now the firing been doesn't want to go back in to the "ready to fire" position. Went too sight in yesterday, threw a primer in it,, when I closed the hinge the primer went off. Opened it up and noticed the firing pin was sticking out. Only way I can get the firing pin too move back is by manually pushing on it.

any ideas?(besides the "you got yourself a new anchor". LOL..)

My sons CVA optima did the same thing , but it was a broken spring . I bet they will repair it for free if you send it in . They were very friendly and repaired it in short time . They asked if we needed i for hunting anytime soon . We have had Traditions Pursuits , Encores and a optima and i have had problems with all of them . CVA Customer service was the best i have worked with . :shock: For the money they are good guns and will kill a animal as easy as my Encore . No need to be ashamed for owning one .

[/quote]
My sons CVA optima did the same thing , but it was a broken spring . I bet they will repair it for free if you send it in . They were very friendly and repaired it in short time . They asked if we needed i for hunting anytime soon . We have had Traditions Pursuits , Encores and a optima and i have had problems with all of them . CVA Customer service was the best i have worked with . :shock: For the money they are good guns and will kill a animal as easy as my Encore . No need to be ashamed for owning one .[/quote]

+1, I'll take any unwanted CVA/Traditions that no one wants :lol:

Ditto to CVA customer service, I sent my Kodiac back to lighten the trigger and it was returned in a week. I just sent the barrel and had removed the breachplug and they installed a new breachplug.

I thought the same thing about the spring but it turns out not to be the issue. I slide the firing pin in with the spring and just gently pushed it forward and it stuck in the hole. I am sending it back to them this week so I can get it back to the range soon. I just wondered if maybe the metal was weak and or wasn't meant for the .50 and that's why it looks like it does. Maybe pictures would help huh? I'll see if I can get some up before this weekend so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

The ability to clean the firing pin assembly must have been a design change after my own experience with one - a very early one.

Back