Pro Hunter Speed Breech plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
Just cleaning the breech plug and noticed the 3 gas rings are stuck/siezed in place. I beleive they are supposed to move freely like most gas guns. If this is true what would you do to free them up? I have it soaking in Mystery oil right now. Wondering if I should soak it in gun scrubber or break free first and then Mystery oil.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Franksauto

You are correct in your assumption about the gas rings... Think you are on the right track to free them up... might even need to apply a little heat.

I would be very careful about applying heat as the rings are spring tempered and it would take very little to draw the spring temper out of them. I would try boiling water in case powder residue has locked the up.
If all the normal things like break free fail try some Evapo Rust from the auto parts store. It is also excellent for cleaning up a barrel with some rust in it or cleaning up a very old gun. Lee

I was thinking the same thing just as I was putting heat to it. I just hit it for about 5 seconds and dipped it back in the oil. Wasnt even hot enough to fizz. I did eventually free them up. They turn freely and are springy as they should be. I will keep it dipped in Mystery oil foe a day or so.
Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back