ohio gun opener

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfishtony

Reaction score
well we drove out to the deer lease we rent land from MEAD WEST VACO
weather is on the warm side this season 35 deg at night and 60 day temp.
legal shooting time is right at 7:08 am
we could hear the first shot it was way to early and sounded like a solid hit well before light!
"makes you wonder"
the wife and i made our way down the down creek bottom in the pre dawn darkness
to her spot. last few years we have used cameras and shared info of deer movements
along the creek. NEVER DO THIS ! some men will not respect your area.
as i got her set up ready for the last 30 minutes of darkness i eased on down the creek
guided by the water fall up ahead a camera lights off and snaps two shots of me
not more then 15 yards from her stand, i found my self standing in a 200# pile of corn
and a lader stand at the convergence of the 3 main trails below the water fall
this puzzled me deeply as we have hunted this area for some 5 years now.
the wife and i hunt about 65 yards apart along the creek bottom in the pawpaw (Asimina triloba) trees.
and green briers choked bottom. i get into my ladder stand just at first light breaking to find trash
soda pop cans and the like around the truck of the tree. the early morning still rise of light was interrupted by
9 SHOTS down creek from my wife. i thought man some one is right on top of my wife. well at 9:30 after 18 or so shots i eased back down the creek to check on her. she was still hunkered down and said some one has a machine gun. we walked out to find a pack of atv's and some new members young of the year and a hand full of button bucks and suckling deer dead and one lead doe. such is the shot gun season opener. today i will walk out back on our own farm with a single shot 50 cal in hand again and a woods i am more at ease in.

Good luck with that.

I wont be hunting Ohio until the muzzleloader season in January. It's a long drive for me but it feel it will be worth it. Our muzzleloader season in the UP starts Friday, I have been looking for it all season long.

Latest posts

Back