Nosler,Omega.........Sabot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadbreak

Reaction score
I just ordered 2 boxes of Nosler Partition .451 260gr bullets. I am shooting a SS Omega and the barrel has never seemed overly tight to me. It's definitely stiff but not overly so. I had been shooting TC 300gr XTP with supplied sabot and it felt right but this is the first time I've ordered loose bullets and I need to get some advice on what sabots to try.

Thanks

I would try MMP's HPH-12 or the HPH-24. The T/C XTPs might come with the HPH-12s but im not sure and the 24s are a little smaller loaded OD.

The Noslers are a tiny bit smaller than the XTPs also.

In my Omega, the Nosler is paired with the crush rib sabot, but i have been able to use a short black harvester sabot. The crush rib seem right in my TC rifles, however the short black will go down the barrels, with some effort.

GM54-120 said:
I would try MMP's HPH-12 or the HPH-24. The T/C XTPs might come with the HPH-12s but im not sure and the 24s are a little smaller loaded OD.

The Noslers are a tiny bit smaller than the XTPs also.

By smaller do you mean shorter?

Thank You Ron.

loadbreak

I use the HPH-24 in my Omega. it is a great fit.... not sure you could get a 12 down and the CR is loose in my Omega.... but mine is an older Omega with a .501/.502 bore.

The XTP's are normally HPH-24's unless they are really old ones. I mean like 7/8 years ago.

XTP's are .452 in diameter the Nosler's are .451

Noslers are .451+ and most XTPs are .452+ OD. The 300gr XTP is usually really close to claimed OD.

How many petals did the sabot have that came with the XTPs? If it is 3 then those are a MMP 3P EZ sabot.

GM54-120

I am pretty sure that Del's contract with Hornady is to supply HPH-24's - the old one was for 12's - so I am thinking they will be the standard 4 petals.... but strange things have happened...

sabotloader said:
loadbreak

I use the HPH-24 in my Omega. it is a great fit.... not sure you could get a 12 down and the CR is loose in my Omega.... but mine is an older Omega with a .501/.502 bore.

The XTP's are normally HPH-24's unless they are really old ones. I mean like 7/8 years ago.

XTP's are .452 in diameter the Nosler's are .451

My Omega is 5yrs old I believe. I'll try the 24's
Thank you Mr. Sabotloader

How many petals did the sabot have that came with the XTPs? If it is 3 then those are a MMP 3P EZ sabot.

I'm out of these bullets and I can't remember how many petals it had. These bullets actually performed very well for me but I just want to try something different.
Thank you Mr. GM

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

I am pretty sure that Del's contract with Hornady is to supply HPH-24's - the old one was for 12's - so I am thinking they will be the standard 4 petals.... but strange things have happened...

My guess was the 12s but considering T/Cs are a little tight (usually), i would think they would use HPH-24s to avoid loading problems. I was thinking Hornady, they occasionally use the red version of the 3P-EZ.

My Extreme 50 is about the same as your Omega. Nearly .502 and the HPH-24 isnt hard to load at all and shoots ok with the Noslers. I need to try some 12s and see if it likes them better.

GM54-120

Where is Del when you need him... but now that youmention it - Hornady does use a EZ load don't they?

Hornady uses (for the last 5 years or so) HPH-24 black in color, they also use a red 3 petal sabot. The T/C combo mentioned in the first post utilizes HPH-24.

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

Where is Del when you need him... but now that you mention it - Hornady does use a EZ load don't they?

There he is ^^^^^^

Hi Del long time no see :D

Latest posts

Back