Nipple choices question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are great nipples and mine worked like a charm; and not just because I use black powder.

I like the Spitfire nipple too. I got in the habit of starting every hunting season with a new nipple. I figure it's cheap insurance for reliable ignition on a hunt.

jon, do you think i'll have problems if i buy those knight hot shot nipples.? should i just buy T/C relacement nipples? They looked long as well on the website i was looking at?
The knight worked great in my TC hawken this past weekend. I had some issues with the old one not igniting the powder occassionally. Cold, wet, and not one problem firing at the range

jon, do you think i'll have problems if i buy those knight hot shot nipples.? should i just buy T/C relacement nipples? They looked long as well on the website i was looking at?

I use the the standard size RST-S from TOW.
These work with no issues and #11 fit perfect.
Nipple, 1/4-28 thread, for standard rifle, #11 CCI cap, stainless steel
  • Cone length 0.440"
  • Overall length: 0.635"
  • Thread journal length: 0.195"
  • Diameter of base: 0.307"

Can be the cause of misfires if dirty and can't get them clean, In comp shooting misfires are bad news, its cheaper to replace the nipple I have found than lose your concentration on the target being shot.

I agree with Jonathan on the Knight "Redhot" (good reliable nipple).

buck conner.jpg

If you have problems with the fired cap remaining stuck in the hammer cup, try the Hot Shot nipple, top in the photo. The vent holes help fragment the cap to it doesn't get stuck. It won't eliminate the problem, but it does help.

I was experimenting with Triple Seven in a sidelock rifle. I could not get decent ignition with the factory nipple. I switched to Spitfire nipples from Mountain State Muzzle Loading Supplies. The underside of the nipple has a flare spreading the sparks a bit more than stock nipples. Needless to say, they solved my problem.

Mountain State Muzzleloading. Now there's a blast from the past. I bought a lot of stuff from those guys. I still have one of their catalogs stored away. I hated to see them fold.

Latest posts

Back