New Shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,
 If you have heard this before, It is still good to hear it again, After you have loader you ML up with powder and the bullet and you have the bullet seated on top of the powder, with your ram rod setting on top of the bullet, PUT A MARK ON YOUR RAM ROD AT THE EDGE OF THE BARREL ONTO THE RAM ROD, so you will know that is where it should be when the ML is loaded, You might be talking and not paying attention and load it again, The mark will let you know if it is ok or you have a problem, Hate to have you start off with a double charge in it. 

Dave

Ok, temps warmed up to 37 and cloudy, so I went to the range today.  Got to break in myself and the new CVA.  Was doing good but was hitting hig and couldn't figure it out.  Had planned on coming home and asking for help here.  But as I was leaving the range, the manager asked me what was going on.  My brain was still in archery mode.  I kept moving the rear sight up which pushed the muzzle higher.  So I will have to go back in the next day or two and try again.  This is from 25 yds, at 50 yards I was shooting over the target.  The 2 center shots were aiming below the target.  

image.jpg1_zpsyzkioof6.jpg

Looks like she is already grouping well for you. Just get those sights adjusted the right way & practice, practice, practice. Also, I support Carlos recommendation of the Barnes bullet. Keep up the good work & keep us posted.

Greg

Jim I find myself sometimes wondering if I'm moving the right way but with optics it's set to go the way you want not opposite. It's good to see you got out and sent some down range.

yep its grouping great so far!

Always adjust the rear sight in the direction you need to go!

Scopes always screw me up because I use them so little.

May shoot a bit high at 100 yards. I normally put it 1" high at 50 yards with 100gr BH209 - 250gr Thor and I am dead on at 100. Never hurts to leave it and see where she hits at 100.

Sounds like are off to a superb start for a newbe!

I will echo what Jon said, typically an 1"-1.5" high at 50 for zero at 100. The other side of it is that if you plan on shooting 150 you would be closer to zero at that range and compensating for 2.5" at 50 isn't a big deal. Especially if you are holding a decent group like you are. 
I'm glad you were able to get back to range to work on it some more. The worst feeling for me is not to have a firearm dialed in like I want. It drives me crazy wondering what it could be. My brother on the other hand can take 3 shots that hit a 9" circle anywhere and be comfortable hunting. Luckily he limits his shots to around 50-75 yards.

I might would have played around with it more but my shoulder was getting real touchy.  Not use to that much shooting. I did 4 shots freehand after I got my group but pulled one low and left.  Others were good with 1 1/2 group.  I will get with Carlos and order some more bullets and sabots and go back to the range another time or two before Bear Hunting season gets here end of next month thru June.

Good to see that your weather has given you some range time this spring. Between lots of rain, a short bout with pneumonia and several long trips to deliver fiberglass swimming pool shells (1800 miles this week) I haven't had the time to hit the range. I have a new LHR Revolution that I need to develop a load for. I fired a few rounds at the end of theseason and it appears that a 100 to105 gr load of BH 209, the black harvester crush rib sabot and either the 260 or 300 gr PT gold will get the job done. The only good thing about all the rain is that our West Texas lease has received more than normal amounts of rain so it should really help our deer population. Take A care and good luck on your bear hunt.

Latest posts

Back