New Rifle, CVA Optima V2 LR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Accura v2 thumb hole 27 inch. I just didn't want the extra length or weight of the LR.
The Lr is a little heavier but it's balanced pretty good. I had a V1 accura with the regular stock and it was a good muzzleloader. I wanted a thumbhole and the Lr just in case I wanted to shoot longer distances. Most of my shots out hunting are under 100yds but I do have some open fields that I can hunt. I haven't shot beyond 100yds with the Lr but it's a tack driver at that distance!

The Lr is a little heavier but it's balanced pretty good. I had a V1 accura with the regular stock and it was a good muzzleloader. I wanted a thumbhole and the Lr just in case I wanted to shoot longer distances. Most of my shots out hunting are under 100yds but I do have some open fields that I can hunt. I haven't shot beyond 100yds with the Lr but it's a tack driver at that distance!
I like the Accura I have but wish I had bought the MR. Not the MR X. My v2 is heavy to me, but a good stand gun. The older MR is fairly light and even the 25 inch barrel reaches out.

Most of my hunting is from a stand or the ground and like I said most of my shots are under 100yds. I had a older Optima pro and it was heavy but shot great! I believe the Accura V2 Lr is 8.1 pounds per Cva. I put a Leupold VX Freedom ultimate slam scope on it. I'm guessing it's around 9lbs? I've been using the Accura V2 for the last 2 years now and I don't have any complaints with it so far!

Shot my new rifle today along with our Wolf. Both easy to use and shoot but the Optima was noticeably easier to clean. The Nitride is a great extra option for sure. I am very pleased with my purchase, even more so after shooting it. Didn't get any pics of the target but to my disbelief I hit the target very close to where I was aiming at about 30 yards with my very first shot with no scope adjustments. So far, so good!

In this gun I started with 80 grains by volume 777 loose with a Hornady XTP .430 240 grain in the green sabot. Crud ring for sure but not terrible. Going to use a little more powder next time to get things sighted in then I will tinker with the load and bullets.

Shot my new rifle today along with our Wolf. Both easy to use and shoot but the Optima was noticeably easier to clean. The Nitride is a great extra option for sure. I am very pleased with my purchase, even more so after shooting it. Didn't get any pics of the target but to my disbelief I hit the target very close to where I was aiming at about 30 yards with my very first shot with no scope adjustments. So far, so good!

In this gun I started with 80 grains by volume 777 loose with a Hornady XTP .430 240 grain in the green sabot. Crud ring for sure but not terrible. Going to use a little more powder next time to get things sighted in then I will tinker with the load and bullets.
The Nitride barrel is very easy to clean! Glad that you like the Optima. I'm considering either the Wolf or the Optima Lr for my 15 year old son.

Went to the range today. 2nd time out with the gun. Went very well. Got it pretty close to the bull @ 25 yards and moved back to 100 and shot 3. Got about a 2 inch group from 100. This is the first bullet I have tried and have done no powder changes to maximize accuracy. Just wanted to see if I could get it on paper and what it might do at hunting range. Its a shooter IMO!

Attachments

• 20230129_145921.jpg
    20230129_145921.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230129_145908.jpg
    20230129_145908.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Ist shot low left. Adjusted scope, 2 and 3 right below the x touching, adjusted again. 4 just to the right of bull. A little flinch. Moved back to 100 and aimed at the far left side of the circle. Shot 3. Group was about 4 inches high at 100, dead center where I was aiming. Not bad!
90 gr by vol 777, 240 XTP .44, Cheddite primer.

Last edited:
Back