CVA Paramount Pro V2…Does Ferrari make these?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patched

Reaction score
So I get an email “newsletter“ from a muzzle loader retailer announcing some new products.

The CVA Paramount Pro V2 was the featured new product….$100 off the $1899 regular price, order now, supplies are limited.

I look over the specs and such and I’m stunned numb…thinking and calculating….

Let’s see here…..a $1800 gun, needs a $500 scope, shoots $2 each bullets with $160 per pound BH powder needing a $48 Vari-flame primer/reprimer kit for using rifle primers 10 times their usual cost…..on top of that you need a new and separate ramrod if you plan on wiping out the barrel.

All this expense to arrive at a gun “that performs like a modern centerfire out to 300 yds”….I am not doubting that this is some phenomenally great laser death ray light sabre ….but Holy Round Balls! this is a FerrarI priced product in a Dodge pickup truck market….

If anyone has one of these yet, please explain how it justifies its existence over what us average mortals are toting in the woods…seriously my circle of hunters are doing great with their Wolfs, Omegas and Accuras.

Prices for nearly everything are crazy these days.
6 bucks for a dozen eggs, 4 bucks for a loaf of bread. Holy crap.
I'd love to buy a nice flintlock rifle but it's not in the budget.
A Kibler kit runs about 1800 or so, even a used TC is high dollar.
I don't begrudge anyone from buying what they want if they can afford it in today's market.
For me, I'll just keep on keeping on with what I have.

I applause and encourage those who seek the finest and the best guns to achieve maximum performance. Yet I too am so very happy with my 2009 Colorado with 258,000 miles on it. Also, there's not a gun in my collection worth more than $400.00 nor do I have a scope worth more than $175.00. Yet In my 35 years of hunting white tails I never felt like my gun/scope was a weak link in my hunting. (not even close) Next, if ever I failed in killing a deer (and I did) it wasn't the guns fault. The problem was in the mirror. I'm estimating I killed a minimum of 100-120 deer in the last 35 years with Center fire, muzzle, oh I forgot bows and arrows. Cheap but reliable Dartons with Wally broad heads. I started buying a few Knight MZs in the last few years and feel like Im spoiling myself.

Ive stated several times here that a skilled hunter with a well prepared Wolf or similar type gun is well suited to kill any game. Im as serious as a heart attack when I say it. Beware the man with one gun, he likely knows how to use it.

I'd rather take that $1800 and stock
up on powder, primers, bullets, and supplies for my Wolf. But that's just me. Doesn't the paramount also have
bore issues?
I don’t know if these have bore issues…but in a recent post of mine on this forum…I show my 1st gen 45 cal CVA Optima that I cobbled together with overpriced eBay parts (totaling around $220) and a bull elk I killed in the fall…with the required open sights of Nevada.

Honestly…I spent twice as much money on the fuel coming and going to the hunting area than I spent on my gun….

I just can’t see how they justify this sort of price tag on a simple single shot gun…and the absurd price of BH powder…and vari-flame inserts.

most of us are do-it-yourselfers simple working folks

Patched, to each their own. Do yourself a favor and prepare your gun to shoot as accurate as it can possibly shoot. So when hunters hear your gun go bang they know there is a deer on the ground or a hole in the bullseye. If you can do that no one will care if you spent $200.00 or $2,000.00 on your gun. Youll have their respect and attention.

I was reading the same ad yesterday for that CVA “Ferrari.” First thought was, a guy would be crazy to spend that much on a (non-smokeless-capable) CVA!!

You’d be miles ahead (and able to do some very long range shooting) by putting a sml barrel on an Encore, Omega, Savage, or Rem for about the same money! (Or go beg 1874Sharpsshooter to sell you that custom Bestill Omega!)

Patched, to each their own. Do yourself a favor and prepare your gun to shoot as accurate as it can possibly shoot. So when hunters hear your gun go bang they know there is a deer on the ground or a hole in the bullseye. If you can do that no one will care if you spent $200.00 or $2,000.00 on your gun. Youll have their respect and attention.
I don’t disagree with everyone pulling their own triggers…staying in their own lanes and eaching their own…
I own $2000 and $3000 guns (Coopers, Sakos, customs)…arguably they have qualities, properties and workmanship that warrants theirs higher dollar value….

my shock and disbelief at the Paramount V2 price ….plus optics, plus hyper expensive powder, plus a cleaning rod…prompted my post here.

I’m guessing others too are thinking that this gun is ridiculously overpriced…this price range is custom gun territory.

Sold out on the BPI/CVA website…again a $1900 gun with a proprietary one-of bullet…. I love top on the line gear, boots, clothes, vehicles, guns etc…but value for the money is important to me also….

CVA is touting their Accura line as the most accurate muzzleloader available with a stainless Bergara barrel….for msrp of $675….

? The Paramount is truly $1200 more worth of features, detailed machining, fit and finish above the “most accurate…” ?….can anyone explain why?

Something is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it. Looking at this rifle I can see why it costs significantly more than a regular Accura.

But you can't compare these to a normal break-open muzzleloader. Just looking at the ballistic difference, they are not in the same category.

Most hunters are always looking for anything that they think will increase their success, so if they have an area where they muzzleloader hunt and this will allow them to extend their range, they may think this is a no-brainer purchase.

So I get an email “newsletter“ from a muzzle loader retailer announcing some new products.

The CVA Paramount Pro V2 was the featured new product….$100 off the $1899 regular price, order now, supplies are limited.

I look over the specs and such and I’m stunned numb…thinking and calculating….

Let’s see here…..a $1800 gun, needs a $500 scope, shoots $2 each bullets with $160 per pound BH powder needing a $48 Vari-flame primer/reprimer kit for using rifle primers 10 times their usual cost…..on top of that you need a new and separate ramrod if you plan on wiping out the barrel.

All this expense to arrive at a gun “that performs like a modern centerfire out to 300 yds”….I am not doubting that this is some phenomenally great laser death ray light sabre ….but Holy Round Balls! this is a FerrarI priced product in a Dodge pickup truck market….

If anyone has one of these yet, please explain how it justifies its existence over what us average mortals are toting in the woods…seriously my circle of hunters are doing great with their Wolfs, Omegas and Accuras.
I own 2 CVA rifles...an Accura V2 Plains Rifle in 50 caliber and a Paramount in 45. The PR shoots very well with a number of loads and the Paramount I can't get to shoot for **** regardless what I feed it. The PR's bore is a snug true 50 caliber. The Paramount is an overbore .4535 but it is uniform. My issue with CVA and both these rifles is the actual design of the rifling. CVA/Bergara have abandoned conventional rifling design in favor of two side by side what I call "micro lands" rather than a single land. IMO this design is a complete failure. They apparently can't maintain bore integrity because they are removing to much material and leaving too little material behind to actually engage the bullet with. I don't know when they did this but based on pictures I've seen and my brothers 18 year old CVA rifle, it was sometime after that as those rifles rifling is of the standard clearly defined land and groove design. I can't imagine why CVA decided to fix something that wasn't broken but alas, here we are. It is my belief that the muzzleloading community and prospective muzzleloader buyers are unaware of what CVA has chosen to do to itself and it's products. I can tell you all with absolute certainty had I known this was going on I wouldn't have bought either one of those rifles. And with an equal amount of certainty I'll never buy another. Buyer beware...CVA is damaged goods.

I enjoy buying different muzzleloaders and shooting them. I picked up my CVA Accura V2 pretty much when they first came out. That thing shoots flat out great with 300 gr XTPs in a Harvester CR sabot and 80 gr of Black MZ. I also have 2 rem 700MLs in .50 cal that I'm playing with looking for their sweet load and a Knight Mountaineer .45 also still developing a good accurate load for. I know there are some guys on here that have beautiful custom rifles that they shoot at super long ranges with fantastic accuracy and I applaud them but that's not what trips my trigger. As for this Paramount, I almost bought one but was, thankfully, persuaded to buy a Knight instead by members here. I cannot see the price tag on the Paramount either. That price is about as silly as some of the prices I've been seeing on crossbows. Totally ridiculous!

It's crazy CVA Rep told me they are only going to have 140 Paramount's in 40 cal. for the year and I was to watch their web site when they went up for sale, which I was told was in a week from the initial conversation. Never happened. They have been sold out the entire time. I bought a better rifle in the Knight Peregrine since then. I won't do business with CVA.

I own 2 CVA rifles...an Accura V2 Plains Rifle in 50 caliber and a Paramount in 45. The PR shoots very well with a number of loads and the Paramount I can't get to shoot for **** regardless what I feed it. The PR's bore is a snug true 50 caliber. The Paramount is an overbore .4535 but it is uniform. My issue with CVA and both these rifles is the actual design of the rifling. CVA/Bergara have abandoned conventional rifling design in favor of two side by side what I call "micro lands" rather than a single land. IMO this design is a complete failure. They apparently can't maintain bore integrity because they are removing to much material and leaving too little material behind to actually engage the bullet with. I don't know when they did this but based on pictures I've seen and my brothers 18 year old CVA rifle, it was sometime after that as those rifles rifling is of the standard clearly defined land and groove design. I can't imagine why CVA decided to fix something that wasn't broken but alas, here we are. It is my belief that the muzzleloading community and prospective muzzleloader buyers are unaware of what CVA has chosen to do to itself and it's products. I can tell you all with absolute certainty had I known this was going on I wouldn't have bought either one of those rifles. And with an equal amount of certainty I'll never buy another. Buyer beware...CVA is damaged goods.
I’ve been an avid gun enthusiast across multiple shooting platforms and disciplines for over 50 years….over those years solid proven knowledge of every aspect of accuracy, machining, design, technique, etc has been widely dispersed on the internet…
In other words we know with certainty what’s needed to make any gun shoot accurately…certain tight bore tolerances, precise projectiles and consistent loading techniques.

Example: my $350 Savage Axis shoots only 10% less accurately than
my $2200 Cooper…because Savage held the tolerances where
it actually mattered…(Cooper guarantees 1/2 moa. Of the 4 I own they do slightly better with developed handloads)

Apparently CVA can’t do that for some reason…but at $1920 msrp I certainly would expect them to.

Last edited:
Back