NEW PATCH KNIFE WITH BALL STARTER & BUILDING A SHEATH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the size of the patch knife Stoney.​
img3.jpg

Buck Conner said:
img3.jpg
Hey Buck
 It's all good EXCEPT that it's already cut out and dyed, and I didn't add a tab for the thong attachment when I cut it? I can probably sew one on?
Stoney

Buck Conner said:
It needs to be no larger than these spec's for what it will be used for.
Unfortunately the sheath is 8 inches long by 2-3/4" wide? If I made it any smaller the knife wouldn't fit. I have a pouch style one here that's 7-3/4" by 2-3/4" and there's NO way I can begin to make this knife fit in it? If I could have, I wouldn't have wasted my time and materials making a new one. Sorry buddy but design and function trump history in this case.
Stoney

I already have one made of rawhide that are the spec's I just sent you, just wanted another one the same size not larger, sorry.

Buck Conner said:
I already have one made of rawhide that are the spec's I just sent you, just wanted another one the same size not larger, sorry.
Sorry buddy. I didn't know this one was for you? I thought you were just giving me specs. for that ball starter knife.
 I can start another to these specs. after my shower.
Stoney

I know a little about leather, one set of dies that October Country has originally belonged to Buckhorn Rendezvous of Masonville CO. (my firm). When I sold that business the dies were sold to them in the late 1980's for backup to their dies. Over the years we have produced many knife sheaths, possible bags and belt bags.
01-455a__67442_category.jpg
01-453__06014_category.jpg
new%2001-471__60244_category.jpg
Green_River_Knife_Sheath__35838.1530554556.220.220.JPG

No, don't start another sheath. I'll stay with the rawhide one already in hand. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Buck Conner said:
No, don't start another sheath. I'll stay with the rawhide one already in hand. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Buck
 It's NO problem. I'm sorry too. I thought this one was your take on the period correct size for that ball starter knife.
 Making another one is easy.  Once all the stitching starts, that's when it get hard! It only takes about a 1/2 hour to make a good pattern. The hand stitching and stitch hole punching takes about 3 hours, maybe a bit more? But it's no trouble. Just let me know.
Stoney

stoney1 said:
Buck Conner said:
img3.jpg
Hey Buck
 It's all good EXCEPT that it's already cut out and dyed, and I didn't add a tab for the thong attachment when I cut it? I can probably sew one on?
Stoney
I like your French Friars tack design, not to be confused with (French Fryers.) :lol!:  I think 1/4" is the smallest tacks I have?  Maybe I have 3/16" but I'll have to look? Can't remember what I bought back in March? Old age!

I may make one like this just for the Hell of it? I can use the practice and I like the design. I'm not sure what blade style would work though? Any suggestions?
Stoney

stoney the tacks that you use, do they have a steel shank on them  that you bend?

Hang onto it Stoney. I'll buy it later. Make a new one for fussy Buck.

FrontierGander said:
stoney the tacks that you use, do they have a steel shank on them  that you bend?
Nope I don't use tacks
 I use antique nickel plated Brass spots. They have 2 Tines on the back and you use a special setter to put them in. I buy them from a friend of mine's store in Indianapolis, In. www.steckstore.com

Stoney

OldMtnMan said:
He's like an old woman. Best to ignore him

Hi Buck. :pirat:
Nope
 If I did that he might go away, and then who'd pick on me?  :slaps:
Stoney
Hi Buck.

stoney1 said:
I like your French Friars tack design, not to be confused with (French Fryers.) :lol!:  I think 1/4" is the smallest tacks I have?  Maybe I have 3/16" but I'll have to look? Can't remember what I bought back in March? Old age!

I may make one like this just for the Hell of it? I can use the practice and I like the design. I'm not sure what blade style would work though? Any suggestions?
Stoney

img4.jpg
Like you said the sheath may need to be a little longer because of the length of knife. This will give you a general idea. The shape of your sheath is right on the money like seen in museums.

Jon asked if your using steel shank tacks with the shank bent over or the tack with bend over tabs? That was going to be my next question, but the kid beat me to it.

By the way that is called "The Cross of Lorraine": (Croix de Lorraine) consisting of a vertical line crossed by two shorter horizontal bars. In most renditions, the horizontal bars are "graded" with the upper bar being the shorter in length.

stoney1 said:
OldMtnMan said:
He's like an old woman. Best to ignore him

Hi Buck. :pirat:
Nope
 If I did that he might go away, and then who'd pick on me?  :slaps:
Stoney
Hi Buck.
I don't go away like someone we know, I just wait and get even - double fold.   :geek:

Hi Pete   :cheers:

You have no idea why I go away sometimes. It's better than if I stayed.

Back