Ball starters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob G.

Reaction score
Back in the 90's when I bought a Knight muzzleloader, I got a Knight T handle ball starter. One of the best features was the recess hole for putting over the ramrod for leverage when loading. Fast forward to this year when I got a 45 cal Patriot. I was concerned using the Knight ball starter so I got the one from Woodman Arms which has a wood T handle and Delrin. I used the Woodman Arms one as a ball starter and the Knight with the ramrod when loading.

I want to carry one ball starter so I ordered a 5" ramrod from Woodman Arms to use with the Knight T handle. Just put it together today and like it. When I made the order, I think Mark was wondering why I wanted a 5" ramrod!!

Ball starters 1.jpg

Ball starters 2.jpg

Ball starters 3.jpg

I'm a little old school and use the wooden ball short starter. I drilled a 3/8" hole about 3/8" deep on the side of it in case I need to use some more force. I just place the ramrod in that hole and push. The ball is big enough to make loading a tight ball or bullet comfortable

I use a short brass and wood starter kinda like shown, but then either use my range rod which has a t-handle or my on-the-rifle rod with a slip-fit ball handle for really getting a good grip on it and going.

I have maybe three starters I bought long ago and still use. And yet I still make my own, many styles & sizes and it's a very fun activity. Yes, use them a LOT as well. Here are just a few.

89b20b4a-02bd-41be-9eb6-81dadfa7c30e-zpsd567bcc6.jpg

Latest posts

Back