New from Traditions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their website says 45cal 1-20 also. A 1-24 in 45 cal is a odd ball twist. 1-18, 1-20 and 1-22 are all pretty common offerings.

A bit off the topic, I once owned a Traditions Buckskinner carbine. 1 in 20 twist 20 inch barrel. That sure was a handy little gun for the treestand. Sold it like a dummy. Lol

I've actually had the opportunity to buy back rifles I sold 15 years ago which I never thought I would have that opportunity,,, haven't lived long enough to face that with muzzleloaders I hope I don't

So did anyone buy one of those yet? Based on some reviews I don’t want to be the first ginnie pig to put my toe in the water.

does the Chromoly steel barrel help any with mitigating the crud ring when using 777 powder ?
does a Chromoly steel barrel have a longer expected life than a CVA barrel with nitride ?

I don't believe that the barrel's metal will stop a crud ring. The crud ring is the result of T7 propellants being ignited with 209 shotshell primers.

thanks Tom . i read somewhere ??? that the chromoly barrels were easier to clean and collected less copper from centerfire bullets and didn't know if that would have a similar effect on crud rings from 777 on ML's . i thought maybe it was slicker/less porous so the crud ring would have less texture to hold on to .
thanks again :)

thanks Tom . i read somewhere ??? that the chromoly barrels were easier to clean and collected less copper from centerfire bullets and didn't know if that would have a similar effect on crud rings from 777 on ML's . i thought maybe it was slicker/less porous so the crud ring would have less texture to hold on to .
thanks again :)
You may see less of a ring with the Chromoly barrel but I think that the powder/primer companionship is the real culprit in any barrel.

I’m waiting for a 45 cal 1-20 Nitrofire. The company wouldn’t/couldn’t admit or deny that one is coming,

Greg

When I said based on some reviews I meant Traditions in general not the 45cal 1:20 twist.
Come on M, take one for the team. Just buy one… anything from Traditions, you know you want to. We wont tell your wife or anyone. Ill even loan you $20 towards it.
:snipe:Jus Do It

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back