New Firestar pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaguru

Reaction score
Anyone tried these yet? Supposed to give more velocity than regular pellets per advertisement. Basically a T7 pellet shaped lie a 6 pointed star with a hole in the middle from what I saw. I'm still using loose T7 so really doesn't matter to me, just curious if the claim of more velocity is for real. Claim is for 50 fps more, cleaner burning and more consistent burn. Don't know if I believe all this.

Are these for 50-cal rifles?
Are they breechplug-ends specific on what delivers the best ignition?

I like trying new stuff. But I may wait to hear some user reviews first.

Are these for 50-cal rifles?
Are they breechplug-ends specific on what delivers the best ignition?

I like trying new stuff. But I may wait to hear some user reviews first.
They are not breech plug end specific and made for .50 cal but they will fit, without damaging them, into both my cva .45s but not my Knight or Omega .45s. I received them with a ML purchase but have not shot them in anything.

Last edited:
Bumping this one as I am curious to hear of any experience myself. Already using regular 777 pellets, wonder if anyone has compared them to firestar. Also--because you need three pellets for 99 grains versus two for 100 in standard pellets, assume that means more depth of powder which might (slightly) affect bullet depth and velocity as well?

I also can see where they might ignite more easily but aren't their pellets very easy to ignite with a good primer anyway? To me if there's an advantage that would be velocity.

I've never heard of anyone here using firestar pellets. Plenty of videos on YouTube on them.

Thanks. Lots of tests out there but none of them have enough replications to make the standard deviation calc worth much IMO (have some training in stats). And not varying bullets or primers makes sense from teh logistical nightmare of doing that--but limits their repeatability IMO. I would think the velocity differences might carry across different bullets though.

And the suburban hunt guy talking about 6 pellets of Firestar? That would be way above any manufacturer recommendations from what I know--nearly 200 grains!!!!--kind of colored my trust in his work.

Watched them and a few more, my take home is--I need to compare white hots to triple 7's!

FWIW my initial inquest to what to try with my MZ was to talk to the manufacturer. Still think that's a good plan for those new to it.

At the time--maybe 6 years ago? Traditions said blackhorn was both the cleanest and most consistent when I asked but for pellets triple 7 was decent, but they recommended remington kleanbore MZ primers as the best at the time. If I recall the primer recommendation was based more on their being hot enough but cleaner as much as anything.

Not sure those remington primers are still made? I still have 35 or so left so am good for awhile but might need to switch if they aren't.

The winchester triple 7 primers are new since then I think might give them a try unless there's another common favorite out there.

Watched them and a few more, my take home is--I need to compare white hots to triple 7's!

My take home is go to loose powder buddy. Blackhorn is the cleanest and least corrosive but expensive. But if you're already running t7 pellets. Go to loose. Same clean up. Cheaper after 2 or 3 boxes of pellets even with adding a measure and some tubes. Pre load some tubes before shooting and you're just as fast and easy as pellets. Plus you'll be able to fine tune your load up and get some more accuracy. Just my crusty two cents buddy 🤪

Soooooo,
3 pellets looks to be pretty equivalent to 100gr 2f loose T7. I guess it’s convenient if you don’t wanna take 30seconds to measure out your powder charge into the speed loader tube. They say less pressure and more velocity with 4&5 pellets? How’s that work? Defy the laws of physics…. Did they come up with a new theory of inline-relativity? Does the star and additional air space change the burn rate vs packed loose or regular cylindrical pellets?

Latest posts

Back