New Bullet Lube (IL Skunk Lube)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
ATTENTION!! 1 Skunk WAS Harmed in the making of this Bullet Lube

My wife is on Vacation so i decided to make up some Bullet Lube, I have been wanting to try this for quite sometime but I haven’t had enough “Alone at home” Time to try it, and get everything Cleverly Cleaned up, Opportunity Knocked this Morning so i jumped on it  :Red tup:

dgsFHQql.jpg

Split straight down the Back Bone from Base of Head to Base of Tail, Skin each side over, Then Trim all the Fat Off. They are FAT this time of Year

5j4rVMAl.jpg

The Bounty
SgJBE0El.jpg

I made me a Home made Double Boiler setup to Render the Fat. If my wife knew i was using her BRAND NEW Kitchen Range for this Project :No: I might of been looking for a new Place to Hang my Hat  :Questuon: This is why Today was the PERFECT Day, She Won’t be Home til Late tonight, The Job is now Done, And Mess Cleaned up  :D

dG29DqUl.jpg

Finished Product, Just a Pinch of Beeswax and Lanolin to “Tack it up” From here i will make Slight adjustments, if it’s even needed? This Stuff is SLICK, I like it a BUNCH! I shall test it Soon  :Red tup:

uByCIvol.jpg

Marty said:
Any lingering odor of skunk  :?:
None at all. If you tried smelling it, You wouldn’t know what it was unless i told ya. Even rendering it down there was No bad smell. The ONLY Smell that i can detect is the Little bit of Lanolin i added to it, and it smells ok as is

That made 9 Skunks i have got here this Summer, I started late last year and Caught 6, So i have Dispatched a Total of 15 Skunks here. Town is a HAVEN for them, LOTS of outbuildings to get up under, Cat Food left on porches etc. Skunks have it MADE in Town! Until they come through my Place :D I will have a LIFETIME supply of Bullet/Patch Lube if this Stuff works as well as i think it will

Idaholewis said:
Marty said:
None at all. If you tried smelling it, You wouldn’t know what it was unless i told ya. Even rendering it down there was No bad smell. The ONLY Smell that i can detect is the Little bit of Lanolin i added to it, and it smells ok as is

That made 9 Skunks i have got here this Summer, I started late last year and Caught 6, So i have Dispatched a Total of 15 Skunks here. Town is a HAVEN for them, LOTS of outbuildings to get up under, Cat Food left on porches etc. Skunks have it MADE in Town! Until they come through my Place :D I will have a LIFETIME supply of Bullet/Patch Lube if this Stuff works as well as i think it will
8) project.  Keep us posted on how the lube works for you.

FrontierGander said:
well thats explains your odd body odor :lol: :lol:
There have been a couple I Dispatched That i could Smell STROOOOOOONG, if you walk through a Cloud of it By accident, or a Breeze Puts it by you, That Stench will STICK To Clothes. Shooting is actually The worst thing you can do, they Will Spray 99.9% Of the Time, even a Full Decap Shotgun Style. The Professional Trappers use an Acetone filled Syringe on a Pole (Sold by Several Trapping outfits) The Game Dept tells you to Drown them. Truth is, There is no Good way to go about it.

I am to the point that i am gonna Fix my Backyard (Skunk Proof) The Bottom Edge where they can’t easily Dig under and just Leave them alone. I am tired of dealing with them! They are VERY Nocturnal Creatures, You Don’t have to worry about them in the Day. If you see a Skunk in Daylight hours and it doesn’t seem afraid? That is a Sign of Rabies, Skunks are HUGE Carriers of Rabies. My fear is letting my Dog out in the Night and Getting Sprayed by one, There are FAR to many of them!! I feel like a 1 Man Army against them

As a trapper in my younger days I never looked forward to seeing a skunk caught in one of my sets meant for other fur-bearers.  Dispatching them was always a smelly ordeal.  :x

Idaholewis said:
Marty said:
Famous last words, you don't smell the odor but wait until the Mrs. gets home is the true test.   :shock:   :)

Have had lots of experience with these guys but the worst is the "Striped Polecat" (skunk-like member of the weasel family) will use a well aimed, foul-smelling spray (much like the skunk) to deter any would-be predators. Some reports indicate that this secretion can be smelled up to half a mile away! And nothing seems to get rid of the smell other than time for it to wear off.  :roll:

Latest posts

Back