Need some info concerning BH209 and possable rust problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ART338WM

Reaction score
I have had a bad experience quite recently with BH209 causing a bore to rust of a Encore 209x50 after being left in it after being shot for less than a week.

What I want to know is has anyone else left their ML uncleaned for five or more days with BH209 burnt powder residue in it with out doing absolutely anything to it like swabing the bore with a rust preventative like Break-Free CLP. Simply fired it using BH209 and set it aside to clean at a lator date for at least 5 days or more and not had it rust or worst yet, had the bore rust even if it was slight.

I need to know the strait truth on this so only factual first hand personal experiences, no friends of friends type info if you please.

Thanks to all who help out with this for their time.
Be well,
Arthur.

I left my Triumph for two weeks checking it every day with a bore light, it was fine, but I deliberately did it in dry weather in the summer.Blackhorn is non corrosive and non hygroscopic.
But it is not a bore protector, once the oil is burned out of the bore it has no protection against rust and in the right conditions could rust.
Lee

Arthur,

I have no first hand experience, as I always clean after I shoot.

But...From the Blackhorn Website...

"Blackhorn 209 is noncorrosive and virtually free of solid residue. Only a thin film of soot remains in the barrel, which will not harm your muzzleloader. There is no need to clean your barrel immediately after use. However, as with all firearms, we recommend using at least one wet patch of solvent after shooting to protect your barrel from moisture."

this is going on already on dougs message boards. Seems like bh209 does have a downfall with rust.

I have had no trouble with BH209 residue causing rust in my Omega barrel. I left the barrel fouled for over two weeks last season with no problems. Last summer I left it fouled for four weeks just to experiment and had no problems.

I shot my Omega last weekend--12 shots--and it is sitting in my basement right now, untouched and uncleaned and when I fire my first shot tomorrow at the gun club I'll bet it center punches the 200 yd 8" plate.

If you have rust issues in your barrel it is not because of BH209 IMO. Moisture got in there from some other source.

My experience has been that BH209 is very "smokeless-like." I'm on my 11th jug and just bought more on sale at Midway.

I don't think BH209 is causing the rust, its ths lack of oil in the barrel and humidity and moisture in the air. Just my opinion. I think if you run an alcohol patch down the barrel to remove all the oil you would still have rust after a week. Even without firing the gun.

I've left one of mine uncleaned after a range session twice with no rust issues. Once for 7 days, the other for 10.

If you were to get some condensation then I can see how that would happen though.

Maybe Im too old school having grown up shooting real black powder, but if it makes smoke when I pull the trigger...I clean and oil once I get home. If Im gonna plop down $300 or more for a gun, Ill be darned if Im going to let the barrel sit without a coat of oil in it...not even for a day. And I always pull my guns out at least once every week or so, just to make sure there are no signs of rust showing up throughout the year. Ive seen too many guys clean at end of season, not oil or not oil enough...and wind up with a severly corroded barrel when season starts again.

Flatlander.54 said:
Maybe Im too old school having grown up shooting real black powder, but if it makes smoke when I pull the trigger...I clean and oil once I get home. If Im gonna plop down $300 or more for a gun, Ill be darned if Im going to let the barrel sit without a coat of oil in it...not even for a day. And I always pull my guns out at least once every week or so, just to make sure there are no signs of rust showing up throughout the year. Ive seen too many guys clean at end of season, not oil or not oil enough...and wind up with a severly corroded barrel when season starts again.

Same here , i almost always clean my fired guns the minute i get home , Muzzle loader or even my ruger MKIII pistols , But i also change a unfired load in my muzzle loaders every time i get home in cold weather too . :roll: :roll: :roll: And i pull all my guns out a re-oil them at least every other month in the winter . I am just a little weird i guess !! :oops: :oops:

frontier gander said:
this is going on already on dougs message boards. Seems like bh209 does have a downfall with rust.

I'm not 100% convinced.

I can't help thinking that there might have been some extenuating circumstances in the few instances that have been described on Doug's board, that have caused their rifles to rust so quick......
:huh?: :think:

I shot mine last yr but reloaded it after the shot which would have cleaned the barrel some as I pushed the bullet down, left that load in there 3 weeks at the camp I looked down barrel with a light no rust shot it then gave it a good cleaning. Thats the longest I have gone.

ART338WM

Might want to check these two threads...

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com ... hread=2569

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com ... hread=2770

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... itro+bh209

Western is changing their stance on BH and corrosion, in a recent email from Don @ Western he explained the thoughts as labeled on the New bottles of BH-209

BHLabel.jpg

I have used BH on different occasions, but have always cleaned the bore within a couple of days so I have not seen any sort of problem.

Were these guns stainless or blued? I believe I read in a previous post that the Knight was blued. I am starting to see a little spot (etching) on the OD of my breechplug, but the bore if fine. My gun is stainless steel. I am going to verify the material of my breechplug this coming week as I had the same issue with T7 only worse.

I've never seen rust in our T/C Triumph (only shot BH209 through it). I have been seeing light rust in our Traditions Buckhunter and Pursuit XLT (use to shoot Pyrodex through them). It does drive me crazy because I clean my guns after shooting them and oil the barrels.

I'm not sure if the cheaper steel is causing it. Or, because I use to shoot Pyrodex and then rust protect my barrels with Bore Butter (never had rust with this method). My thought on this is that the Bore Butter seasoned the bore and is not letting the oil coat the surface of the metal like it should. I've scrubbed the inside of my barrels thoroughly so I'm not sure if that is possible or not.

I have left the Triump uncleaned for a week to keep the barrel fouled before a hunt (no rust). But every time I foul the barrel at the range, my shot is maybe off by an inch at a 100 yards. So now, I don't worry about a fouled barrel. I just run a patch down the barrel to remove excess oil, then fire a couple of primers.

I left my Prohunter loaded for a week last fall after firing. I hunted in rain and snow, had no rust at all. (stainless barrel)

Lane and other doubters,
All I can tell you is I confirmed as compleatly truthfull that my friend went shooting on Tuesday Oct 6th and on Saturday morning Oct 10th he removed his Encore to clean it only to find the bore badly rusted.

He stores all his long guns in a Liberty Fire proof safe along with a large containor of silicon disicant. In his fully finished basement is a dehimidifier located next to his safe that is set to run 4hrs on, 4hrs off 7/24. Both his bottle of BH209 and mine do not have any instructions on it concerning cleaning or swabing ASAP after shooting and prior to storage. The Encore went from air line aproved hard sided gun case to be stored in his Liberty safe. I also closely inspected the safe and the gun case for any moisture and found no hint of any. He also has one of those expensive home weather stations that among other things monitors the humidity both inside his basement as well as out side. When I was there it read 36% humidity, hardly considered high.

And lastly the fact that BH209 has changed the wording on its powder jugs leads me to belive they must have received more than just a few complaints about bores rusting. Not to say that some people do not contribute to the problem by leaving their MLs sit to long fowled with BH209, as im sure some who had problems did just that.

All Im saying and realy tring to do is make people awere that the fact that BH209/Western Powders are some what remiss in using the term "noncorrosive" to describe the qualities or advantages BH209 has VS all other BPsubs. I say this because the vast majority of people who reload or shoot modern noncorrosive ammunition would take the meaning of noncorrosive as it applies to BH209 to mean the same as it applies to powders like H-4198 and so on, unless they are educated otherwise by BH209, as obviosly they have with the new labling on thier jugs of BH209.
Both my bottle and my friends have the same advertising on them devoid of any cautions about cleaning ASAP and in no less than three different areas use the term "NONCORROSIVE".

That is no longer the case on the newer bottles of BH209. This situation could have been easly avoided if BH209 had from the begining labled thier bottles as they do now.

I have personaly used a little over 1 and half bottles or 15-17oz of BH209 and absolutely love the stuff and will continue to use it. I will just make sure I clean my bore ASAP after Im done shooting for the day.
BH209 is still my one and only BPsub of choice, but it is IMHO not a true noncorrosive powder.

As a example I have no less than five rifles in my gun safe that have not been cleaned since being sighted in for hunting. One has been dirty for over nine months, two for at least six months, the rest a little less than six months, and because tha ammunition fired out of them was all loaded with "NONCORROSIVE" powder none have any rust at all. My two dedicated turkey shotguns bores have not been cleaned in well over a year, and that inclueds weeks of hard, hard hunting, and again zero rust.

And lastly my friend also has seven other long guns in his safe all of which were put away with dirty bores, none showed any signs of rust and all are made of blued steel like his Encore.

I know people have used BH209 without cleaning and had no rust, this was not the case with my friends Encore and I can not honestly say why as I strongly doubt the Encore was exposed to exsessive amounts of humidity.

Art

First of all, I in no way, doubt your truthfulness or sincerity.

And it really can't hurt a thing, if folks with blued barrels to a double take, to ensure this is not also happening to their guns.

This forum and others like it, have been testing BH209 since it "Arrived". We've turned it upside-down and inside-out, and run it thru the gauntlet, so to speak. And never saw anything like what you have described. :shock:

So, Good-on-you for alerting your fellow shooters to a possible problem :) Cause that's what we smokepole shooters are all about!

Heck, I'll bet UnderClocked is really sore about this now....He likes to be the first one to discover stuff, and then name it: (Like The Crud Ring) :D 8)

lane

If you call Western they will attest to this problem and from the information I got from them it is not being restricted just to blued guns in their instructions.

They have been seeing and hearing about this problem for several months now and have modified their instructions on the new bottles and their instructions at Western to notify people that this problem can happen if exposed to the right circumstances.

Don @ Western had a very detailed email that verified findings that the residule soot left by BH in the bore could attract moisture and in any unprotected bore is suseptible to rusting if moisture is being collected.

He did not give or estimate a 'time' that it might take to see these problems and I got the feeling it was happening in only a small number of cases, but as the popularity of BH increases those random cases will rise. The complaints and cases they have seen and recieved are a concern to them.

Also remember the the active ingredient in BH is not Nitrocellulose as in normal smokeless powders it is Nitrate ester.

He emphasized again the powder by itself is not corrosive.

Latest posts

Back