Cva wolf final impressions. Long review.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd bet your scope's objective bell is also slightly smaller than 44 cm. Probably millimeters, 44 mm.
I think 44 cm would be close to a foot and a half, which would be an impressive diameter as far as light gathering, but would make for an awkward mounting arrangement.

Yes my mistake obviously not a foot and a half.

We have a few of these in my family. They're just as you say. A good value for the cost. They are nice and light and easily managed. Accuracy is definitely acceptable. Great review!

I went to Cabela's in Saginaw today and boy howdy they have a nice ml selection. Including the wolf. Out of the three CVA wolf rifles there all of them had a very thin layer of machine grease much like I'm used to and the lands look clean.

So yes they should not be fired they should be brand new. I do notice that some are dirtier than others maybe a long-term machine grease that they were using before on older stock?

As for myself my rifle still doesn't get fully clean. Whatever. Still great rifle I recommend inspecting them in person not buying online.

I dont mean to hijack the thread but the wally world in Lapeer, MI has an impressive selection of ML supplies. I did check for BH powder in the event I could pass that info along but none found. Other powders pretty good supply.

An update on a very old thread. The CVA is still alive and kicking. I’m now looking into casting bullets for it.

And those two weird stains that ran up and down the grooves in the rifling have almost disappeared. I suspect it was some dried on machining oil. Never affected accuracy one bit. It’s such a great rifle.

Continuing from the post above...

Here are the markings on the barrel itself being that the barrel originated in Spain it's required to be fired at a proof house. In that proof house they typically put three times the normal charge of powder and fire your rifle. Then they put a regular size charger powder and test your rifle again to see if it's working. this is a requirement for all barrels and rifles or handguns that are coming out of foreign countries into the US they have to be sent to a third party proof house to ensure that the quality of construction is there and that the rifles are safe.
So if you open up your CVA rifle and you notice that it's been fired yes. yes it has.
View attachment 10627

Here's a close up pic of that thingamajig that actually breaks open the rifle allowing you to take out the breach plug or load a 209 primer. It's all metal like the trigger and smooth like the trigger.
View attachment 10628

This is definitely important and worth mentioning I probably should have given this feature more attention in the first post. The screw that I'm pointing at is the only screw that you'll need to take out to disassemble this rifle for cleaning. It's ridiculously easy and can be opened with a coin. It really doesn't get much better than that.
View attachment 10629

Some close up pictures of the stock and the texture on them I've never had an issue with slippage and I feel like I have a good grip on this rifle when I decide to shoot it that way. However I can tell you most of the time I'm shooting it with one hand with my other arm tucked underneath with the palm of my hand resting on my bicep. This is a common sniper style hold. It allows the rifle to basically fire and mitigate its own recoil. I have found it to be extremely accurate firing it that way.

View attachment 10630
View attachment 10631

Lastly we finish off with a few pics of that magical breach plug. It has never been stuck and always opened with just hand pressure. again my only issue is that it's kind of hard to see what's behind those two holes and to make sure that you have everything out of it. However the breach plugs are cheap enough to replace if you ever have an issue which I don't foresee having an issue. Given that the material is stainless steel I doubt that I would rust on the inside just in case I do tend to pack it with a little bit more oil and then blow out the excess.
View attachment 10632View attachment 10633View attachment 10634

Thank you for reading this rather long-winded post or picking up whatever you got out of it again if you're on the fence I would highly recommend getting one of these.

I felt like I owed it to the manufacturer because I initially bad-mouth them because of the issues that I was having with the rifling. That issue I found was only in the two rifles that were sent to me ironically.

To this day I have no idea what was going on with the rifling inside or what material was caught in the lands however as I've stated it has not affected accuracy one bit. At least not that I can tell. It's mainly a cosmetic issue and a cosmetic issue on the inside of the bore.

However as I have stated if you do decide to purchase this rifle have a look at the lands and grooves and they will be dirty because again this rifle is proof tested from Spain. once clean just make sure that it does come clean and there's no caked on junk in there.

Many of the rifles that I've seen featured in the department stores do not have any issues I assume the majority of them don't have issues I just got unlucky.

However as I said this thing shoots straight I don't feel the need to warranty it out and I will continue shooting it and enjoying it. Happy hunting from Half-Cocked!

I bought a CVA Wolf from Muzzleloaders.com and went and checked it and it has not been fired, nor is there any grease or fouling in the bore. Looked at the original box and paperwork and nothing stating that it was tested/fired before shipment. Interesting...
maybe you got one that had been cleaned & returned? ;>)

I tell you if that stuff is the long-term storage product that they speak of that I had so much trouble with that would be my only gripe about this rifle. Otherwise the thing is absolutely gorgeous.

Now a very long time ago I purchased Molson nagat and another 8 mm rifle that I've forget I think it was a Turkish anyway when I purchased it this stuff looked like it was packed in axle Grease thick grease all up and down the bore all over the outside and the whole thing was in one big plastic bag.

Even though it was an absolute mess every bit of that grease came off fairly easily. When I purchased my pietta it was coated in a very light oil. And I know for a fact that that black powder Cap and ball revolver coming from ITALY was proofed as it was stamped on the barrel as well as mentioned in the piada factory tour that it's a requirement of Italian law.

But that's something entirely different. Then what we were talking about just a moment ago I realized that.

And I'm kind of straying between the proofing issue and my own issue with their long-term storage product. I can't tell you whether proofed or not and whatever the cosmetic issue of my inner barrel was at the time of my purchase I ended up being extremely happy with this rifle.

Now I'm going to the range tomorrow but unfortunately I won't be taking the CVA wolf we have a new Savage access chambered and 30-06 to sight in at 100 yards. I also need more range time with my Sig to get comfortable with the sites.

However I do promise some groups from the CVA wolf to post from my not to spectacular shooting. I'll do my best and I assure you if it's bad or there's a flyer it was me I know that this rifle is probably more accurate than I am. I feel that that would be an excellent way to finish this review.
that grease stuff is called "cosmoline", invented after wwi to preserve all the military equipment that was going into storage they dip the firearms in a heated vat of this i'v heard.. its really fun to get it out of semi auto pistols. How is the rifle grouping?? i bet you could tighten em up if you sort the bullets out into exact weight matched sets for your groups.. (if you are into more accuracy)..

I tell you if that stuff is the long-term storage product that they speak of that I had so much trouble with that would be my only gripe about this rifle. Otherwise the thing is absolutely gorgeous.

Now a very long time ago I purchased Molson nagat and another 8 mm rifle that I've forget I think it was a Turkish anyway when I purchased it this stuff looked like it was packed in axle Grease thick grease all up and down the bore all over the outside and the whole thing was in one big plastic bag.

Even though it was an absolute mess every bit of that grease came off fairly easily. When I purchased my pietta it was coated in a very light oil. And I know for a fact that that black powder Cap and ball revolver coming from ITALY was proofed as it was stamped on the barrel as well as mentioned in the piada factory tour that it's a requirement of Italian law.

But that's something entirely different. Then what we were talking about just a moment ago I realized that.

And I'm kind of straying between the proofing issue and my own issue with their long-term storage product. I can't tell you whether proofed or not and whatever the cosmetic issue of my inner barrel was at the time of my purchase I ended up being extremely happy with this rifle.

Now I'm going to the range tomorrow but unfortunately I won't be taking the CVA wolf we have a new Savage access chambered and 30-06 to sight in at 100 yards. I also need more range time with my Sig to get comfortable with the sites.

However I do promise some groups from the CVA wolf to post from my not to spectacular shooting. I'll do my best and I assure you if it's bad or there's a flyer it was me I know that this rifle is probably more accurate than I am. I feel that that would be an excellent way to finish this review.
It used to be called Cosmoline.

Latest posts

Back