My longest shot ever on a Deer... 10/14/06

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
This morning was the first day of Muzzleloader season here in PA. I was using my new Ultra light arms. I also was using the new 250grn Bonded Shockwave. The Gun is AWESOME. The bullet i'm not sure yet. :? Anyway, about 5:30Pm this evening some Deer were walking from right to left about 170yds. They were both little ones. The mother came out at 212yds. As she was walking she was getting a little closer. She reached 184yds laser verified and i pulled the trigger. It really didnt seem like i hit her. She ran down into the woods. I walked over to were i hit her and saw no blood. :evil: Then i started walking the direction she ran. I saw the Deer Dead. She ran about 40 or 50yds and died. No blood at all. :( I shot her in the left shoulder. Here are some pics. The little Deer was the one my buddy shot with a 200grn XTP and two pellets. That Deer never took a step.

2006MuzzleloaderSeason001.jpg

2006MuzzleloaderSeason007.jpg

2006MuzzleloaderSeason003.jpg
[/u]

Way to go Tom! Backstraps on the grill?

Looks like all your other guns are obsolete now! 8) 8) I can't wait to get mine !!!!

On that last pic... looks like you hit low just under the shoulder, bullet fragged in leg and bruised or parts penetrated heart? Is that right?

Get some of those 250/275 T-shocks from Parker.. they seem to be much tougher and shoot pretty well too!

275 T-shock is showing promise in my 10ml

275 Jacketed Hydracon is not..

Doohan said:
Get some of those 250/275 T-shocks from Parker.. they seem to be much tougher and shoot pretty well too!

275 T-shock is showing promise in my 10ml

I have a feeling Chuck will have a different recipe for it when it gets to Alabama next week. :wink:

Doohan said:
On that last pic... looks like you hit low just under the shoulder, bullet fragged in leg and bruised or parts penetrated heart? Is that right?

That is correct. Got the heart for sure.

Good shooting Tom! I've never shot a deer with a muzzleloader that far away.

Looks to me like that bullet did a pretty good job!

Congrats Tom. Looks like your off to a great season.

Very nice! Congrats on the long shot.

Was your shot a pass through? I was very impressed the way the 250 SST performed on my dad's 'lope, but I'm still a wee bit worried about performance on a big 300lb Canadian whitetail .

I like blood trails, especially short ones.

I'm still using the 250 SST and blood trails have'nt been an issue. In the last couple of years 6 deer have fallen to them out of my Savage. 3 dropped in their tracks and the other 3 fell within 15 - 20 yds.

RAF said:
I'm still using the 250 SST and blood trails have'nt been an issue. In the last couple of years 6 deer have fallen to them out of my Savage. 3 dropped in their tracks and the other 3 fell within 15 - 20 yds.

Now that's what I wanted to hear. :yeah:

Excellent shooting

Grouse,

What a nice long shot. Those range finders sure help. Is your 25-06 for sale now???

choc-dog

That looks like a nice big deer you have hanging there. Lots of good eating on that one for sure. And congratulations on the shot.. Its nice when everything comes together like that.

Latest posts

Back