Muzzleloader elk hunt in rain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfujan

Reaction score
Headed out on first MZ elk hunt next week in CO and forecast says rain all week. I have a knight ultra light with FPJ primer setup. I plan to tape the muzzle. Anyone have advice for keeping things dry besides that? Should I reload every day if i get rained on or just replace primers?

Your help is appreciated👍🏻

Last edited:
I tape the muzzle, keep a spent 209 in it when not hunting and don’t bring it indoors at night.

I never reload unless I think the charge has gotten wet.

I tape the muzzle, keep a spent 209 in it when not hunting and don’t bring it indoors at night.

I never reload unless I think the charge has gotten wet.
What's the idea behind the spent 209? Keep moisture from getting in?

At Champ.. Dog Shows you will find small rubber finger stalls on some of the grooming stands.They come in several sizes.. We jokingly termed them Doggie Condoms but they make excellent Muzzle covers and blow off without affecting accuracy. OLD DOG..

In a rain, I shoot the load at lunchtime and again in late evening. I've gone to extremes in protectiong the bore against water. I have put cotton just inside the bore - then used Saran Wrap / Rubberband seals for added protection.

Then when it's time to exit the blind, if possible, shoot the load out on your private land (or) on public land, drive a mile down the road and fire the gun there. Or, remove the load from your breechplug and start with fresh powder in the PM.

I shoot mine every day, regardless of sun or rain. Have fun and some of the fun is cleaning the darn thing too. Both Blackhorn 209 and real Blackpowder can be dried out and reused without sacrificing power/performance.

I sue hot 209 primers and my breechplug areas are sealed.
Knight Vision and T/C Omega. I won't buy plunger-action or bolt action MZs.

Last edited:
Back