More Trapdoor

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a question regards bullets for trapdoor loads. Mine is from around 1889 - a cutdown rifle to look like a carbine. My question is if any here have /are using powder coated bullets?

Have a question regards bullets for trapdoor loads. Mine is from around 1889 - a cutdown rifle to look like a carbine. My question is if any here have /are using powder coated bullets powder coated bullets are for black powder loads since they don't have any lube on them. If you are using smokeless loads they will probably work ok. Are you going to use the 450 grain bullet? X

Have a question regards bullets for trapdoor loads. Mine is from around 1889 - a cutdown rifle to look like a carbine. My question is if any here have /are using powder coated bullets?
Powder coated bullets are for smokeless loads because they don't have any lube on them to keep powder fouling soft. They will probably work with smokeless loads providing they aren't rock hard. Did you slug the bore? [very important] Are you thinking about using the 405 gr. bullet that was traditionally loaded in carbines? Do you have the Buffington rear sight on your carbine? X

Not yet to slug...
Yes to 405 Gr
No to the Buffington sight....it has a peep sight installed as a rear sight and has the second form rear sight with the "B" stamped on the left side. Michigan National Guard received a large number of the rifle version of Trapdoors in early 1900's and I have been told that many of these were sold at very inexpensive prices. Many sold were reportedly converted to "carbine-like" configurations. As mine came from someone from SW Michigan I figure that mine is likely one of those "converts"
My rifle is akin to that Johnny Cash song - "One Piece at a Time"...
The butt plate has a swing door but no tunnel in the stock for the rod. There is no ring and plate on the left side. The breech has 1889 stamped on top but the breech & barrel marks for alignment are not present. The bayonet tunnel is present but no rod/bayonet and a replacement does not fit.
What prompted my question is obtaining some commercial "Trapdoor safe" non BP loaded ammo. The bullets are powder coated and when shot out of my Sharps wanna-be from Cabelas/Pedersoli they performed quite well and barrel remarkably clean...
I do not know the Brinnel Hardness...
Thx for your reply

Not yet to slug...
Yes to 405 Gr
No to the Buffington sight....it has a peep sight installed as a rear sight and has the second form rear sight with the "B" stamped on the left side. Michigan National Guard received a large number of the rifle version of Trapdoors in early 1900's and I have been told that many of these were sold at very inexpensive prices. Many sold were reportedly converted to "carbine-like" configurations. As mine came from someone from SW Michigan I figure that mine is likely one of those "converts"
My rifle is akin to that Johnny Cash song - "One Piece at a Time"...
The butt plate has a swing door but no tunnel in the stock for the rod. There is no ring and plate on the left side. The breech has 1889 stamped on top but the breech & barrel marks for alignment are not present. The bayonet tunnel is present but no rod/bayonet and a replacement does not fit.
What prompted my question is obtaining some commercial "Trapdoor safe" non BP loaded ammo. The bullets are powder coated and when shot out of my Sharps wanna-be from Cabelas/Pedersoli they performed quite well and barrel remarkably clean...
I do not know the Brinnel Hardness...
Thx for your reply

If the slug is powder coated but still has the grease grooves - and powder coating ain't THAT thick - then there is no reason you couldn't lube 'em and then load onto a BP filled case.

Whether an event that requires BP cartridges and not smokeless would allow a PC bullet instead of plain lead is a different question... (that I have no idea about)

If the slug is powder coated but still has the grease grooves - and powder coating ain't THAT thick - then there is no reason you couldn't lube 'em and then load onto a BP filled case.

Whether an event that requires BP cartridges and not smokeless would allow a PC bullet instead of plain lead is a different question... (that I have no idea about)
Sounds good

Thx!!

Back