ML-II XTP 300 & N120 @58 gr

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncob

Reaction score
ML-II XTP300 & N120 at 58 grains

Cost per shot (USD):
MMP short 50 @ 7.50 = $0.15
XTP 300 50 @ 12 = .24
Primer 100 @ 4 = .04
Vit N120 .21
Grand Total = $0.64

7,000 grains per pound ($25) = 120 shots per pound

Great load in any one of the 3 Savages I've been shooting.

Savage #3 is my cousins and he wanted me to get it ready for deer. I usually zero at 100 and then shoot enough to know where the bullet is at 50, 150, 200 and 240 (run out of land before 250 yards).

Zero'd at 100, I was getting 9" of bullet drop at 200. That's the same as my synthetic did last year and exactly what I was expecting. Here's the mystery:

Cousin wanted the gun zero'd at 200 yards. No problem, but then when I shot at 100 yards, it was 5.5" high 2 times and I am sure it would have been the same if I did it 5 more times.

Can anybody splain this?

BR's from the cob pile.

A correction is needed to the original post:

The gun described is not an ML-II. It is a pre-Accutrigger version that is flat where the rear base is mounted.

While I would describe it as a "shooter" it is also great tesitimony to the value of an Accutrigger.

Cob.

Cousin wanted the gun zero'd at 200 yards. No problem, but then when I shot at 100 yards, it was 5.5" high 2 times and I am sure it would have been the same if I did it 5 more times.

Can anybody splain this?

That IS higher than I would expect. That's why it's SO important to shoot at longer ranges... When I plug the numbers(est 2300fps, .200 bc, scope height 1.5 inches) into Load From a Disk I get that the bullet should be just over 4 inches high at 100yds. You didn't happen to chronograph the load to get the exact MV did you? Also...are you sure it's DEAD ON at 200yds?

I will take a stab at this one. I assume this pre AT gun has a loose bore in comparison to your AT guns. I have had 2 of each and the newer line of guns has a tighter bore than the pre-AT guns and the first yeat AT run of guns.

I am guessing that maybe you are not getting the same velocity from each gun. Can you chrono both of the guns and see if there is a velocity difference???

I don't have a chronograph so it is very much appreciated that you lend some help. I guess I'd better get one.

Attached is the target.

Kingload.jpg

The scope on the pre-AT is a Redfield fixed power (6x I think). It has 1/2" adjustments per click - discovered the hard way at a previous range session.

Shots 1 & 2 were at 200 yards. So I took it down 11 clicks and then shot #3 and #4. So, I can't say it is dead on at 200 yards, but on average, I'd say it's in the immediate vicinity and particularly so if you could feel the all the ugliness in that trigger.

Next I went back to the 100 yard target and aimed at the bullseye. Shot 5 was 5.7"high & .5 left of center. Shot 6 was 5.5 high and .5 right of center.

I declared the gun "Good to go at 200, and 5.5" high at 100" Made notes when I got home and prepared to hand the gun back to King.

Regarding the chronograph. From now till spring I plan to be in hunt mode. Come spring - I promise to get one.

TKS for your thoughts.
Cob

If your ACTUAL sight in distance was 205yds, .5 inches high at 200yds(really hard to know EXACTLY), the bullets would be about 4.6 inches high at 100yds. I think a good zero for this load would be about 175yds. Still be able to hold dead on to 200yds.(2.6 inches low)

Latest posts

Back