Praise the 300 XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years i never looked at this bullet. Always used the Deep Curl for hunting, and practicing. These days now, the Deep Curl is unavailable for purchase; i looked at other bullets. Prior to this past hunting season, i sighted in my rifles with two bullets. The plan was to use a well thought of tipped bullet, because it was accurate. However, as season neared, i began leaning toward using the XTP, because it seemed more consistent/ accurate. Because our son was to join me for the hunt, i readied two rifles. The two rifles shot the 300 XTP, 75 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, black crush rib, W209 primer. The two rifles were equipped with 1X glass, as per regulation. The same load was accurate in each rifle.

The boy killed a deer first at 157 yard, using the X7 with 1X glass. Strangely the 300 XTP didn't hit much of anything. The bullet hit behind the diaphragm, kinda hit stomach, and went through the diaphragm, hit no lung, and exited. The deer went up some, and fell over. When we reached the deer it was dead. When he gutted it, there was no blood in the chest. It sure puzzled me what killed the deer. It seemed the deer had no vital injury. We decided the deer couldn't breath, because of the hole in the diaphragm........ :huh?:

About three weeks later, using the same rifle, i gut hit a deer with the 300 XTP, at about 100 yard. It ran off a short distance, and fell down; i thought it was dead. When i was ten feet away, it got up, and ran off; wow was i surprised. It ran a short ways down to the bottom, and up the other side a short distance, where it quit. Another hit by the XTP; the deer expired. Thinking about it, i was impressed the bullet hurt the deer so badly with such a poor hit. Two deer, two poor hits, two deer in the freezer, 300 XTP......... :yeah:

This morning i had an opportunity to shoot the bullet out 200 yard with negligible breeze. The rifle was the rust pitted Omega with a 2.5-8 scope mounted. The load was 300 XTP, 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. Elevation is about 4600 feet. Temperature was about 60 degree. First shot of three was from a clean cold barrel. Range was about exactly 200 yard.

IMG_2522.JPG

Great shooting, them said XTP bullets have probably killed more deer then just about any other bullet

Love XTP`s, have killed a ton of deer with them 240/300 gr. and 90 percent of them don't make it 40 yds, farthest any have ran is maybe 80 yds..if I could only choose one bullet that's easily obtainable to hunt with it would be either the 240 gr. regular not mag XTP or the regular .44 300 gr. xtp. They shoot very good with 90 gr of pyrodex S also.

The non magnum 300 grain 45 XTP is the most accurate bullet in my 50 cal Black Diamond. Drawn no blood with it yet. The 250 grain has done all asked of it.
I've killed deer with the 44 cal 240 ( 4), 45 cal 250 ( 8), 40 cal 180 ( 2) and 200 grain (1). No, zip, zero , nada complaints. If no other bullets were available than the XTP series, I would be VERY comfortably armed. No deer hit with an XTP has gone more than 50 yards. Those that ran were wobbly from the get go. I do not shoot heavy loads. Velocities from 1550 - 1800 fps. 180 gr 40 cal and 200 grain 40 cal respectively. The 44 cals were going 1600 as are the 250 and 300 gr 45's.
if it's possible to go wrong with an XTP, it isn't going to be by much.

Wow Ron that is fantastic shooting!

I took your advice and picked some up to test in my X7. I'll be happy with a group like that at 100 :)

These XTP work in every rifle tried. The hits on the upper right, lower left, and the fact the bottom all thread was replaced, attest to how absolutely lucky my shooting was today.

That's very good shooting.

There are three 300 grain XTP bullets: The .430, the .452 XTP and the .452 XTP magnum. All three are excellent bullets. i get the best accuracy from the 300 grain .430 XTP. All three bullets knock the stuffing out of 300+ pound hogs.

Which bullet are you using?

I have used them in my Knights for over five years now and they have never failed to perform. I too have used the non-magnum XTP 300s with 100 grains of BH209 (by weight) and black crushed ribbed sabots. The largest deer I have ever shot with one was a behind the shoulder shot at less that fifty yards and he was double lunged and only went 50 yards before dropping (the buck pictured in my Avitar)! My go to bullet!!!

Attachments

• 12Point Avitar.jpeg
    12Point Avitar.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 854
Refresh my memory.
Magnum vs nob magnum?
Visual differences?
Cannelures?

Anyone know the length measurements of the .430 and the .452 300 grs?

I do XTP 250 grain .452s in my CVA pistol. My rifles both see 300 grain non-mag .430s. Rifle groups tighten up nice with the 44 cal fodder, but the 452 numbers are just fine if I have to use them. I get super reliable expansion with the non-mag XTPs. My buck last fall taken with the pistol was drilled with a 250 grain and he walked about 40 yards. How I have no idea as his chest plumbing was completely gone. The heart was floating around in a cavity of soup and the lungs didn't exist. He was a 15 yard shot from a stand. I'm not looking for anything else to run thru any of my guns.

MrTom said:
I do XTP 250 grain .452s in my CVA pistol. My rifles both see 300 grain non-mag .430s. Rifle groups tighten up nice with the 44 cal fodder, but the 452 numbers are just fine if I have to use them. I get super reliable expansion with the non-mag XTPs. My buck last fall taken with the pistol was drilled with a 250 grain and he walked about 40 yards. How I have no idea as his chest plumbing was completely gone. The heart was floating around in a cavity of soup and the lungs didn't exist. He was a 15 yard shot from a stand. I'm not looking for anything else to run thru any of my guns.

What sabot do you use with the 300 grain .430s? And what rifles are you shooting those out of?

Thanks,
46r

Latest posts

Back