Measuring TripleSe7en loads.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MQ32shooter said:
Which would be better for weighing powder charges, a digital scale ($70, tabletop battery operated) or a beam scale, same accuracy factor and using an RCBS trickler?

I'm going to say digital cause I've had both. The digital will be much faster and accuracy will be equal. Mine is a RCBS.

one person claims they have to be calibrated all the time to check them and that they are slow about giving out their readings.

That HAS been my experience with them. Mine WAS one of the first ones though and it is my UNDERSTANDING they have corrected the earlier issues. On a side note..I DID have to return mine and repair time wasn't that great nor were the personel overly courteous..

In developing loads for the range, would you throw different weight charge in 10 gr volume increments then weigh or 5 gr increments?
( based on using Triple 7 FFg in a Knight Disc Elite .50 using an 85 gr volume starting point)

Oh and the wife says "thanks alot!". I just had to go and purchase a Dillon Eliminator powder scale (monetarily challenged, opted to not go with digital) and a RCBS trickler for load development based on information gleaned from guys on this board. I think she was using sarcasm :shock:

MQ32shooter said:
In developing loads for the range, would you throw different weight charge in 10 gr volume increments then weigh or 5 gr increments?
( based on using Triple 7 FFg in a Knight Disc Elite .50 using an 85 gr volume starting point)

Asking how you all do it to obtain the most accurate loading. Have a new Elite- never been shot but I have alot of ideas. Was going to fire three shot groups with each bullet I try in differing charges to find out max accuracy at max charge weight. Leaning towards Barnes on bullets though I have some 45/50 250 gr XTP's I will try first.

MQ32shooter said:
Oh and the wife says "thanks alot!". I just had to go and purchase a Dillon Eliminator powder scale (monetarily challenged, opted to not go with digital) and a RCBS trickler for load development based on information gleaned from guys on this board. I think she was using sarcasm :shock:

My wife's the same way. Every time I have a picture of a gun on the screen she says "We don't need another gun"! or if I'm looking at a catalog with gun pics I hear "You buy another gun and I'll kill you!" :lol: I was telling Randy the other night that if I bought another gun he'd probably get an invite to my funeral!
smily932.gif

She also calls gun catalogs my version of Playboy! :shock: :lol:

I found this on another site.....it was about charge consistancy for good groups. They volume measured charges from six different adjustable powder measures: T/C, Knight Rifles, TRESO, Uncle Mike's, Pedersoli and Dixie Gun Works. The closest to weighing a charge of 3F black powder that matched the setting was the brass Uncle Mike's adjustable black-powder measure. Set at 100 grs it delievered 99.3 grs (avg) of 3F BP.

They weighed 10 charges for each setting then averaged them. Following is what they got with 3F Triple 7 and 2 F Triple 7:

Black Powder Vol. Weighed 3F T7 Weighed 2F T7
80 gr 58.6 60.4
90 gr 67.3 68.2
100 gr 73.8 77.7
110 gr 81.4 83.3
120 gr 88.0 91.3

I rounded off the 90 gr chg 2f T7 to 70 grains to keep it simple and went out and shot some groups. I got 50 yd (one hole) 3 shots inside a nickle shooting a Barnes 300 MZ bullet. For the range I shoot most of my deer this is more than adequate accuracy and now I just weigh out 70 grs and drop it in my loading vials. ......simple and consistant.

Underclocked said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ok that explains it. :d'oh!: Pinnochio wrote it. :stretch:

scauper,
Just weigh out the charges that shoot best and average the results. Everyone measures their powder differently and the differences in powder measures don't help much. My results are different than those of that authors. If you want to use those weights as a guide you'll be fine though. I think he's off a little though.

He may not be off in that he used a different method to reach those numbers. I believe it was six? different volumetric measures used and the results are an average weight. That could account for his variation from our thumbrule. But I told him he was wrong. :lol:

Volumetric measures are notoriously OFF and inconsistent between brands and models.... but it doesn't seem to matter so long as they are "close".

The site was www.hpmuzzleloading.com/LoadsBallistics2.html......I figure the 70 gr weighed chg is a 90+ vol equivalent that I can consistantly duplicate.......great accuracy & prints the same when shot out of a clean barrel.......I don't think a deer would know the difference when shot but the peace of mind of knowing that the bullet is going to hit where I aim is priceless.

cayuga said:
Does anyone have experience with a PACT Digital Scale?

Yes... I have been using one for a couple of years. I just let mine warm up a couple of minutes and it does great. I have used it with ac adapter only. My first digital was the original pact that had a battery only. I thought the problem with it was battery power. If I left it in the unit for a while the battery went dead. If I took the battery out after each use..turning the unit upside down to get the battery in and out disturbed it too much. I re-routed the wires so the battery could be on the outside of the unit to connect and disconnect. That worked much better and the unit stayed stabilized well. When it went out (after many years use) I bought the higher priced pact unit and I like it very much.

Pointman asked.....
Am I doing something wrong with the new scale?

I think many digital scales may have their own personalities. One's I've used "lock on" to the weighed value. If I want the scale to re-weigh, I touch the powder pan with my finger but with an upward movement so that I don't put any downward pressure on the scale, which may damage it. The more experience you have trickling powder the more you learn how many powder kernals it takes to move it ...say one tenth.

I prefer digital scales because when placed on the bench their readout is looking up a me and there's no problem reading it. With the beam scale I had trouble getting it high enough above the table for eye level, although I used one for many years. I just like eveything flat on the table. One thing I learned about digitals is they don't like any RF signals interfering them. A tv, radio, cell phone, cordless phone, computer too close will drive it crazy and me crazy trying to figure out what's wrong with my scale. I once was ready to send mine back to the mfg before I discovered what was wrong.

Big 6 has a dillon I like very much. Price came down after I purchased the pact or I would have bought it. :)

How much buy weight will the tubes hold of 777ffg?I have a supply of 5cc tubes that I've used for centerfire reloading but I see Randy's are 7cc.I wonder if the 5's would hold 120g buy weight?(I would not think I would have to go that high,but just in case) :?:

OOPS,should have said 110-115 grains buy weight.Sometimes (most of the time)my fingers are faster than my brain. :oops:

yeh but you can pretent she wasn't :D dang it that's what I get for doing two things at once posted to the wife being sarcastic on page one, oh well there isn't any nail holes in my hands and no sword cut in my side so I guess I'm allowed to make mistakes

Back