Thinking about getting a Muzzle Loader any Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boat Builder

Reaction score
I have been hunting for about ten years and with work I am finding I don?t get to go as much as I want to. I am thinking about getting a Muzzle Loader to extend my deer season. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on what type of gun to buy and what kind of things I should be looking for in a Muzzle Loader. I and be looking for the latest and greatest for the best bang for the dollar

Boat Builder.. welcome to the forum.

Before I would even try to suggest what rifle to use..

are there laws restricting certain ignitions or actions
laws about projectiles
will you be using a scope
what kind of shots would you encounter (cover, distance, etc)
do you like traditional rifles or the modern inlines
what kind of money do you want to spend.

There are a lot of rifles, calibers, brands out there. Watch some of your local sporting good stores. Many of them will be putting sales on the items real soon..

Some good brands are T/C, Knight, CVA, Traditions, Remington, Savage, etc.. the list goes on and on.

cva Accura :!: :!: :!:

Are you into traditional muzzleloaders? I know where i could find you an awesome .54cal sidelock Hawken.

I am looking for a modern muzzle loader. I have a old school pistol that to me is to much of a bother to clean. I would be dear hunting with it and wood be taking shots that average about 50 yards from a tree stand but would be sometimes shooting up to 150 when sitting on the edge of a field. Yes I would want to have a scope on it. I would be looking to spend 3 or 4 hundred on a gun, but I would spend more if it was what I wanted. Just in the research stage right now.

A real good rifle would be the Thompson Center Triumph. Check some of your local sporting good stores and Wal Mart. I heard they are one sale for under $300.00 then top that with a Nikon Omega scope, get some BlackHorn 209 powder, and some Shockwaves and you have a 200 yard rifle.

Another good one is the CVA Accura. Everything I read about them sounds good. I talked on a forum to a person, right out of the box (he scoped it) it shot a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Well with tinkering he might get that even better.

Also consider a T/C Pro Hunter. Like the Triumph, loaded right, it is deadly accurate.

Knight makes some good rifles. I personally like their older models better like the Disc, Extreme, and Elite. I have not handled their new ones enough to form an opinion, but Knight makes a good rifle.

150 yards and scoped, can be done with most any of the modern inline rifles once you find the load they like. So keep reading and feel free to ask any questions. If you find one in a store or online that catches your eye, ask about it. Someone here probably owns and shoots one..

A real good rifle would be the Thompson Center Triumph. Check some of your local sporting good stores and Wal Mart. I heard they are one sale for under $300.00 then top that with a Nikon Omega scope, get some BlackHorn 209 powder, and some Shockwaves and you have a 200 yard rifle.

Another good one is the CVA Accura. Everything I read about them sounds good. I talked on a forum to a person, right out of the box (he scoped it) it shot a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Well with tinkering he might get that even better.

Also consider a T/C Pro Hunter. Like the Triumph, loaded right, it is deadly accurate.

Knight makes some good rifles. I personally like their older models better like the Disc, Extreme, and Elite. I have not handled their new ones enough to form an opinion, but Knight makes a good rifle.

150 yards and scoped, can be done with most any of the modern inline rifles once you find the load they like. So keep reading and feel free to ask any questions. If you find one in a store or online that catches your eye, ask about it. Someone here probably owns and shoots one..

Latest posts

Back