Newbee

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents, I wanted to introduce myself as new member here. I look forward to learning more about the Modern Muzzle loaders and tricks and tips that may assist me in getting better accuracy at longer ranges . I have an older Knight DISC Extreme that was given to me by my father, and I never really got it shooting accurately. I drew a Mule Deer Muzzle loader tag for Utah this year and I need to get dialed in. Bestell custom breech plug? Black Horn 209 powder or Triple 7 pellets? Bullet weight or type for 300 lb. deer? I would like to reach out to 200 yards but not sure if we can get this gun to do that? Also, any scope recommendations? Thank You for any suggestions! Weldo

BH209 has it's charms, but it takes a different ignition system than other powders. Do you know what it is set up for already? I would try that out before spending more money to change it.
I would definitely use powder instead of pellets, as 5 or 10 grains can make all the difference in accuracy. Kind of a soap box issue for me, and others here are probably tired of hearing about it. You can look up some of my older posts for the photographic evidence.
200 yards is possible but not common. My longest was 153 yds, pictured left.

BH209 has it's charms, but it takes a different ignition system than other powders. Do you know what it is set up for already? I would try that out before spending more money to change it.
I would definitely use powder instead of pellets, as 5 or 10 grains can make all the difference in accuracy. Kind of a soap box issue for me, and others here are probably tired of hearing about it. You can look up some of my older posts for the photographic evidence.
200 yards is possible but not common. My longest was 153 yds, pictured left.
Hello FredB, thank you for your reply. I've shot triple 7 pellets and powder and Black Horn as well with various bullet types and weights . Not impressed with any results. It is stock so Pyrodex or Triple 7. I'm really looking to stretch out to 200 yards using BH209 so breech plug mods are on the list. I am changing scopes out to a Leupold and am going to try again and see if some issues were scope related. I've reached out to Bestill but haven't heard back yet. Any other Rifle Smiths or breech plug / bolts out there?

Welcome from Las Vegas!

200 yards should be a chip shot with any scoped modern inline and the right load.

For my money, BH209 and a good 300 gr bullet is the ticket for mule deer. I’ve killed a pile of them in UT.

I’m assuming you have a .50? So likely a 1:28” twist. Should shoot any number of 250-300 gr saboted bullets well.

Any decent variable powered scope should be fine. Don’t get too used to it though - Utah may be changing the muzzy regs next year.

Welcome from Las Vegas!

200 yards should be a chip shot with any scoped modern inline and the right load.

For my money, BH209 and a good 300 gr bullet is the ticket for mule deer. I’ve killed a pile of them in UT.

I’m assuming you have a .50? So likely a 1:28” twist. Should shoot any number of 250-300 gr saboted bullets well.

Any decent variable powered scope should be fine. Don’t get too used to it though - Utah may be changing the muzzy regs next year.
ElDiablo thank you! Yes 50 Cal Knight DISC Extreme. I will keep yall posted here in the future with results of suggested options. Thanks Again

Welcome from S.Ohio! I have a Leupold VX Freedom Ultimate Slam scope on my Accura V2 Lr and I like it. I've only shot it out to 100yds but I'm going to be trying out some different loads and see what happens. Good luck on your hunt!

Back