Loading the 209 in my Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Ok, here is my minor problem with my savage.

The 209 holder on the bolt holds my 209's very loosely. If I don't hold my rifle straight up in the air and center the 209 on the bolt, then the 209 doesn't want to fit in the breech properly and sticks. Making it very hard to close my bolt.

Does that make sense? Is this a common problem with the savage? Should my 209 holder grasp my 209 tighter?

As it is, (if I'm not careful)the 209 slides to one side and will not slide into the breech plug perfectly, thus making it very hard to close the bolt.

This is not a common problem with the Savage. It sounds like you may need a new bolt cause it not holding the primer correctly. Contact the Savage service dept. they will take care of your problem. :wink:

dwhunter said:
This is not a common problem with the Savage. It sounds like you may need a new bolt cause it not holding the primer correctly. Contact the Savage service dept. they will take care of your problem. :wink:

Agreed :wink:

Not a common problem, I agree with contacting Savage service. They are very good to deal with IMO.

Mine also fits loose in the bolt. I thought that was proper. When put it into battery the bolt needs an extra push to get it home. If I don't give it that last push the fireing pin will not be cocked. Hope that's mormal. smoker

smoker said:
Mine also fits loose in the bolt. I thought that was proper. When put it into battery the bolt needs an extra push to get it home. If I don't give it that last push the fireing pin will not be cocked. Hope that's mormal. smoker

Smoker,

I suspect you are discussing a different issue. In his case it sounded as if at times the he could not even close the bolt if he tried.

What is seems you are suggesting is simply needing to apply what you think is excessive pressure to close the bolt properly. If in fact that is the case, then you probably do not have a problem. My gun had a similar issue. After being inspected by the Savage gunsmith it was deemed perfectly normal.

JC

Thank you jcchartboy. Mine did that closing thing out of the box and I never questioned it before I saw the post. I just finished shooting in that SWEETIE with sub 100 yard groups. What a great rifle. Thanks again. smoker

jc,

you are correct. I cannot even close my bolt if the 209 is not perfectly centered.

Back