Loading pressure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I'm going to try bullet over powder for the first time and need a little help.
I just received, from Dennis at Fury, an assorted pack of bullets ranging from .500 to .503. I was told that it should take no more than 18-20 lbs of pressure to seat the bullet. Now I know it shouldn't go in as easy as say a Power Belt or so hard that I give myself a hemorrhoid doing so, but what would be a good way to judge 18 to 20 lbs.

When loading either a patched ball or conical bullet, my technique is hand over hand with the ramrod until I feel the powder charge, then I give it one firm push. I have no idea what sort of weight range of force I use. I simply try to do the same for every shot.

I'm going to try bullet over powder for the first time and need a little help.
I just received, from Dennis at Fury, an assorted pack of bullets ranging from .500 to .503. I was told that it should take no more than 18-20 lbs of pressure to seat the bullet. Now I know it shouldn't go in as easy as say a Power Belt or so hard that I give myself a hemorrhoid doing so, but what would be a good way to judge 18 to 20 lbs.
You'll need help, but you can get close with a set of bathroom scales. Note the weight of the rifle on the scales. Remove the breech plug. Have someone watch the digital measurement on the scales and SLOWLY push the bullet down the barrel. 20# will take 2 hands.

Back