Lehigh Defense .458 260gr

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sabotloader sent me some of his Lehigh Defense .458 260gr Controlled Fracturing bullets to try. I sized them with my .452 Lee sizing die. I went to the range and put up three targets one on top of the other not knowing where my bullets would hit. I figured they would hit high, but I wasn't sure. So I aimed for the target in the middle. My first shot was high on the top target with a clean, cold bbl. The others as you can see were right there, but were still hitting the top target. I was quite impressed with the accuracy. My load was 120gr of Swiss 2F. The target in the middle was with bullets sized with my Lee .451 sizing die, the same load. For that target, I aimed at the bottom target. While still good, it was not as tight of a group as those sized with the .452 die. I may have to experiment more with those bullets sized to .451. Maybe I'll try a Felt wad behind the bullet? What surprised me was both loads hit about 11+ inches high, as compared to just below dead center with my normal load of 80gr of Swiss 2f and my 350gr conicals.

The recoil wasn't bad for me, with 120gr but after 3 shots, the bbl was starting to get warm to the touch. GRIN

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
They are awesome boolits. I do use a wad under my loads with them. I have used Sabotloaders’ recommended 120 vol BH209 .
They do drop game.
Price went up big time since Bill Wilson bought them out.
I see why for he built a special facility for making the Lehigh line.

Another thought and we are going to ask him. Being these are smooth form bore riders should his new ID be “ Smoothloader” ? lol

Well CRAP... Bronco just sent me an email.

Lehigh Defense, was purchased by Wilson Combat a few months back, and they no longer have this bullet listed on the web site! They do have a 240 grain listed but I was unable to load them in the modern day tight 45 cal. rifles. Sooooo! Guess I will just have to wait and see if they show up again prior to hunting season.

Last edited:
They are awesome boolits. I do use a wad under my loads with them. I have used Sabotloaders’ recommended 120 vol BH209 .
They do drop game.
Price went up big time since Bill Wilson bought them out.
I see why for he built a special facility for making the Lehigh line.

Another thought and we are going to ask him. Being these are smooth form bore riders should his new ID be “ Smoothloader” ? lol

NOPE!!!! Can't say that name would work for me!!! ☹️

Last edited:
Back