Knight Conversion Kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevie

Reaction score
Hi All

Currently my Ultra-Lite is set up for caps. I purchased the Knight FPJ bolt conversion, Lehigh bare primer breech plug and Lehigh adapter. When I install all the new components, the bolt does not close all the way, probably 1/16th inch gap between frame and bolt body. The knight conversion kit by itself works fine.

Is this considered headspace issue? Will I need to fix?

Thanks for the help

I purchased the BPBPK2 for Bare Primer, knight mountaineer and ultra-lite. I noticed that the bag shows BPBPK2 Bare Primer, knight disc

I gave the breech a good cleaning and used a screwdriver to put a little extra torque screwing it in using the supplied breech tool. It was in pretty good.

It sounds like the breech plug isnt all the way seated but can you put your old and new plugs side by side? They should be roughly similar lengths.

Here is a pic of the breech plugs. FPG, Cap, Lehigh

Cannot really tell if the hex nut is hitting the Lehigh adapter

moPmMOa.jpg

Hi All

So after removing some metal from the front of adapter, with same results. I finally figured out that the Breech Plug end (where the primer goes ) is hitting the lip inside the adapter. The breech plug is in as tight as i can torque it. Is it possible that i ordered or received the wrong breech plug?

Hi All

So after removing some metal from the front of adapter, with same results. I finally figured out that the Breech Plug end (where the primer goes ) is hitting the lip inside the adapter. The breech plug is in as tight as i can torque it. Is it possible that i ordered or received the wrong breech plug?

Probably not! the other BP for a DISC is much shorter,

DISC-Mnt._Breech_Plug.jpg

I am not exactly sure what might be going on but I have ran into the same problem with a couple of ULites.

A couple thoughts for you to try...
1. Remove the hammer assembly from the bolt
2. Remove the adapter from the face of the bolt.
3. Install the BP in the barrel turn it up snug to the stop (not tight but not loose)
4. Install the bolt body back into the rifle.
5 Close the bolt and release the bolt body handle - the bolt should drop to the bottom and seat itself.

If all of that works then this time lower the handle slowly and note how far the primer stack is from the face of the bolt. I am sure that the stack will be a very short distance from the face of the bolt.

Then remove the bolt handle - Install the primer adapter (no primer) and see if the bolt will close. I am sure it won't but I just want to get on the same page with you.

In my case or cases - I ended up removing material from the front edge of the BP. This picture shows two Lehigh BP's that were Nitride treated. The top plug being the full length Mountaineer/Ulite plug. The bottom plug has been machined to reduce its total length. In this case I removed 0.040" Actual measurement says 0.039". This was done by turning the plug on a lathe, to make sure the face of the plug was flat and uniform.

Nitride.jpg

I think and I believe it would be easier to remove the material from the top of the primer stack on the BP. Then you would need to bevel the inside and outside of the leading edge of the primer stack/tunnel. Removing material from the top: you would not have to be as precise in your material removal. Removing 0.040 material is very small amount. The primer pocket has enough extra space it would not miss .040 to .060 of material.

All of this is just a suggestion.

mike

Thanks for the suggestion you are spot on. The bolt body does set itself when BP in place without the hammer assembly. The problem arises when the adapter is also in place. Looks like i need to remove a bitt of material from the BP. With the BP and adapter in place, there is about 1/8 inch before the bolt handle will seat.

Thanks Again

Thanks for the suggestion you are spot on. The bolt body does set itself when BP in place without the hammer assembly. The problem arises when the adapter is also in place. Looks like i need to remove a bitt of material from the BP. With the BP and adapter in place, there is about 1/8 inch before the bolt handle will seat.

Thanks Again
Thats seems like a lot of material to have to remove. Any chance you could put up a few pics of the problem? Bolt with adapter installed, in the gun, on the breech plug?

Here is a couple pictures... the gap between the bottom of bolt and rifle frame around .160 give or take. No pressure applied to the bolt, this is where it landed. I can close the gap a bit by applying pressure to the bolt.

No BP
4JXelFQ.jpg

With BP
16JD9dY.jpg

Here is a couple pictures... the gap between the bottom of bolt and rifle frame around .160 give or take. No pressure applied to the bolt, this is where it landed. I can close the gap a bit by applying pressure to the bolt.

No BP
4JXelFQ.jpg

With BP
16JD9dY.jpg
Can you show the bolt/adapter just as it starts to go over the BP?

Bolt all forward before closing down. With 209 in place, pretty much same gap.
AMU0GAs.jpg

2fFTqJP.jpg

I may just pick up some FPJ housing as use as is.. lol.... Any place i can find a cheap bare primer bolt?

I had one but gave it away a couple months ago, sorry. I think taking a couple thosandths off the front face of the adapter should fix the problem tho. Not an 1/8", but maybe a few swipes with a file and check the fit. Repeat til it fits. Then polish. If you take the BP and the adapter out and put them together on the bench you should see exactly where to remove a little metal. If you dont want to i bet a gunsmith would do it cheap.
16489350270636757758873405700828.jpg

Back