Knight Bighorn (Updated w/ perc. cap report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blowback and dislodged primers are indicative of plunger style inlines. My CVA Staghorn did the same thing (sans the FPJ), and the spray got worse as you stepped up the powder charge. There is no significant force that holds the primer solid against the breech - only friction and what little force that striker spring exerts at it's full extended (expended) state. All Knight is going to tell you to do is wear eye protection.

For what it's worth, I fired my Knight Bighorn with #11 CCI caps today with 70gr. & 80gr. of Graf's FFg and had no appreciable blowback. Btw, I was testing .50cal. Maxi-Balls (Lyman mold), Lee 340gr. bullets (sized to .458", cast of wheelweights + 1% Sn) in orange MMP sabots and RCBS 250-K SWC's (sized to .430" and also cast of wheelweights + 1% Sn) in green MMP sabots. Accuracy @ 50 yds. was excellent with all three.

my mk85 seems to like musket caps better then number 11 caps.they fit tighter if i use rws caps and they are much easier to get on and off when a second shot is needed.

FWIW,

I have found with my Wolverine 209 with a 26" barrel, that by screwing in the "secondary" safety slightly, I didn't strike the primer near as hard and then didn't have any blowback. I have never had the problem that you have pics of, but I used to get a little blowback until I backed the plunger back a little bit. Might be worth trying.

By the way, I shoot 5 shot groups into 1" at 100 yards with my peep sighted Wolverine 209, Barnes 285 Spitfire and 100 grains of loose 777. I LOVE my gun.

I did purchase an additional plunger, spring, etc for mine and the conversion kit that allows it to convert to no 11s or muskets. I look forward to trying it, but it is really hard to mess with a good thing.

FH

I have a Bighorn and switched to the 209 primer system with 777 powder. Didn't like it. Went back to #11 caps with 2F GOEX.

flounder said:
I have never used anything but the #11 caps in my wolverine or MK-85. I am wondering if those red primer carriers had been used a few times and if that could be part of it. Did you have the same problem on the first couple of times you shot that bighorn?
Art

I personally like the #11 caps. But I might add, my LK-II and LK-93 were made to shoot #11 caps.

I prefer the #11 caps myself. Pyrodex RS & fff Goex work great in all my rifles.

Latest posts

Back