Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear Claw said:
It's hard for me to look at that gun. It's the Hawken I always wanted. Just perfect!
I hear you, have a good friend that has a GRRW half-stock Hawken serial number <a href='/tags/H04' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #H04'>#H04</a>. Used but in excellent condition (little wear from carrying), .58 caliber that use to shoot 4 X's out of a 5 shot group, now at 82 he's a little worn but still tries his best.

I saw a program last night talking about what folks do when getting close to the century mark. A couple of gentlemen in their early 90's were still out and about in the mountains hiking, taking pictures and having close encounters with wild life. Wouldn't that be great to have those experiences before you can anymore.

It's hard now. I can't imagine doing it in 25 years. If I start at 8am I might travel 100ft and then have to head back to the Jeep before it gets dark.

Do you know the twist on GRRW rifles in general and Traveler in specific?

In part, you guys here got me thinking about health matters and age in a way I have not done seriously before. (That and a few of my friends my age have begun running in marathons, Iron Man, and Spartan events. It made me realize that I was way too sedentary for my age and I could/should be doing more.)

I have been cycling real road miles and doing other exercise related activities every day since April. 
I can really feel a change. I breathe better. I move better. It was/is not easy. But, I want to be using Traveler for a very long time. I know too much and worked to hard to get here to just let it rot on a sofa. :scratch:

Oddly, I have not lost a pound. But, I have shifted my shape (still fat!) and my clothes are more comfortable. 

The point is, I can do more than I had convinced myself that I could do. You can, too.

I get out and hike hard every day of the year. Even in a blizzard. It keeps my heart rate down and my weight steady. I'm only 170lbs at 6', so no weight problems. I think hiking is better than a bike. The bike does too much of the work.

Kentucky Colonel said:
Do you know the twist on GRRW rifles in general and Traveler in specific?
Talked to Ron Paull, what I was thinking was correct, just wanted to double check. The rate of twist was 1-66 according to Ron and several old GRRW ads.  :cheers:

img4_4.jpg
img5_3.jpg
img6_2.jpg
Here you go Pete

The photo bucket debacle claimed all the photos in this thread. Here are a couple to anchor it... 

NX71do.jpg

aKN6rt.gif

Doc White and Carl Walker hold Traveler

Cr6Tfp.jpg

First firing

julCFr.jpg

WFSgO5.jpg

KC your rifle "Traveler" is gathering others 1970's like your GRRW Hawken kit, several more have joined the ranks.

GRRW CA will be building these guns also with the double stamps like yours, one was sitting in a bedroom closet that the family had forgotten about. Carl Walker was called as he knows the family having lived a short distance from him for 50 years. 

THE 2017 GRRW Rendezvous has the folks in Roosevelt and Vernal Utah seeing if they have a GRRW gun stored away to bring out and show off. GRRW sold many rifles to those neighbors knowing Doc White and wanting to help out with a purchase. :ttups:

conner said:
KC your rifle "Traveler" is gathering others 1970's like your GRRW Hawken kit, several more have joined the ranks.

GRRW CA will be building these guns also with the double stamps like yours, one was sitting in a bedroom closet that the family had forgotten about. Carl Walker was called as he knows the family having lived a short distance from him for 50 years. 

THE 2017 GRRW Rendezvous has the folks in Roosevelt and Vernal Utah seeing if they have a GRRW gun stored away to bring out and show off. GRRW sold many rifles to those neighbors knowing Doc White and wanting to help out with a purchase. :ttups:
Well, I suppose I am a proud papa. Where did all these kids come from! lol
That double stamped thing was a good idea, eh? Proud to have the first.

It was nice being Tigger for a while. Sings- 
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers is... 
Iiiiii'm the only one. Yes, I'm the only one!" 

However, more of them means there is more weight to the story as the tale of Traveler compels 
folk to look under their beds and closets for GRRW gold! Heck, I have been looking, too! You should 
amend your article submission!

I LOVE mine. I'm glad others will have the chance to own one like Traveler, too. 
Death Wish was first. Traveler was first. That makes me pretty dang lucky and in 
rare company.

Cr6Tfp.jpg

With GRRW there have been some strange stampings over the years, many "firsts" one could say. I liked some of the inlaid name plates with GRRW stamp and a name set in real gold or silver plates, that really stood out. Fun times....

conner said:
With GRRW there have been some strange stampings over the years, many "firsts" one could say.
My 58 cal is certainly different than any I've seen in person or in photos, though at a glance it strongly resembles Traveler.  For one thing, Ron's name is stamped out in full on the bottom flat of the barrel:  Ron Paull.  Not his usual symbol.  For another, it's a left handed stock with a right handed lock. Suits me, because I'm a lefty.  Barrel is 36" tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle.  Yeah, it's a heavy sucker at over 12#.  Sad to say, the previous owner apparently mounted a tang sight at some point, with the rear screw running directly into the stock. A wart, but one I can live with. 

I'll try to find time for photos this week.

BrownBear said:
For another, it's a left handed stock with a right handed lock. Suits me, because I'm a lefty.  Barrel is 36" tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle. 
Have seen one like the configuration mentioned and heard of several others like it now with collector's. Carl said there weren't any special guide lines, so you may see such happenings. :chatty pete:

Back