Kentucky Colonel's 1970 GRRW Half-Stock Hawken is finished....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
conner said:
...with a client that can be questionable with his demands.   :cry:
Aaaargh....  No wonder he was sucking his coffee so hard.  Too much of a gentleman to talk out of school though.

Well there's that, but he's also a motorcycle freak. :D

Picture him riding his motorcyle through town in the rain with Jean on the back holding my Squirrel Rifle for delivery to me.  Do I ever wish I had a video of that! Probably the most unique delivery in the long and colorful history of GRRW!

Only Ron would do something like that, He built a beautiful 1780's long rifle for his son then flew to NJ and traded the rifle for the motorcycle he was riding.  Yes, he loves motorcycles, when he started with GRRW in the spring years ago him and Jean rode into Roosevelt UT on a bike from back East looking for work. Lived in a tipi until they could afford an apartment that fall.

Makes me especially proud to own a couple of his guns, and looking forward to another!

The boys at The Armories gun shop helped me out with these pics. Here is Traveler...

Traveler%201_zpsbccsvvv3.jpg

Traveler%203_zps6tgt7vcm.jpg

Traveler%202_zpstvqphj7h.jpg

Traveler4_zpsdgxoei1z.jpg

Traveler%205_zpsjmuojcvl.jpg

Bear Claw said:
If you need some boiled linseed oil. Here you go.

http://www.octobercountry.com/boiled-linseed-oil/
Pete, 
I went there. Was prepared to make a 40 dollar order including the 3.97 3 oz bottle of BLO (even though I have some. Wanted to compare) They wanted 14 dollars (or more or less- they won't commit) for shipping with no customer choices. I passed on the 25+% surcharge. There are a lot of options out there.

However, Pete, YOU are the one who alerted me to the kit that led to this rifle being made. You noted it as a deal worthy of our interest due to the story and the history on this forum about a year and a half ago which got my interest up. So, thank you. This was before I really understood Buck's connection. So, you are here-by named Traveler's God Father. Yes, you helped birth a baby .58 calibre. And, yes. A true mountain man's rifle now lives in the swamps of Florida... and, it is all your fault. :twisted:

Thank you, too, Buck. I'll tell Adam at the Armories that you approve. His photo eye is better than mine.

Well, enjoy it. It's a fine rifle and has a good home now.

As for the shipping at October? They always put a flat rate of $14.00 on the first receipt they give you, but then adjust it when it's shipped. What had you ordered?

Bear Claw said:
Well, enjoy it. It's a fine rifle and has a good home now.

As for the shipping at October? They always put a flat rate of $14.00 on the first receipt they give you, but then adjust it when it's shipped. What had you ordered?
IDK... nick-knacks... trying to support a business that supports our hobby. Today, I paid double for a box of .58 cal round balls at a brick and mortar store that I value that is local for the same reason.

I let go nothing from the October order that I will miss or can't find elsewhere.  I know I picked up a 570 round ball order up from an unknown manufacturer to try from October. (shrug) I like Hornady, anyway.

And, thanks. You can shoot Traveler if you visit. Or, if I visit Colorado. I do have kin in Yuma. I am looking harder at elk and such these days. I seem to have acquired a cannon. 8)  

It IS longer than my Traditions Ky. long rifle and much more beefy than any Hawken I have ever seen. The dang thing would not fit in a normal Plano rifle case. (I wanted to baby it, it did not want to be babied) It went to the Armories in a canvas cover because nothing else would fit the brute!

The cast round balls October sells are really nice. It's all I used. 

I said used and it is. Sadly I can't shoot heavy barrels anymore because of my bum back. I've had to permanently go to an inline for my hunting from now on. It kills me but it's better than not hunting. Anything is better than that.

KC, I submitted a short article to the "Green River Gazette" about "Traveler" from its birth to growing into a full man's gun. I also sent the article to old friend Charlie Richie - "Backwoodsman" senior editor and owner of this magazine. 

It usually takes a few months to see anything submitted. Use to write for Charlie for a dozen years in the early days of this magazine when he was still located in Colorado.

Buck, that is wonderful! I can't wait!

I was at the range with Traveler for the first time, today. It was 96 degrees.
Traveler%201_zpswxyc63jp.jpg

Capping for First Shot
Traveler%202_zpsrnayz3ei.jpg

Leaning Into the First Shot
Traveler%203_zpsjqcevqlc.jpg

The Boom
Traveler%204_zps3rvxcokc.jpg

The Smile
Traveler%20Gopher%201_zpsyihdhqzb.jpg

The Result
Traveler%20Gopher%204_zpsqdvyhpxx.jpg

The Next Three

I used 150 grains of 3F Goex at 25 yards. I giggled and laughed after every shot. One of the fella's, Homer, said, "You don't have to load 150 grains to shoot it, but you're going to. You scamp!" He giggled and laughed every time it went off, too. 

It is a joy to shoot. In action, and in the open, the rifle does not feel as heavy as it is. I had no trouble aiming it and holding a bead. As Carl Walker predicted, the rifle shoots low. I will file a little off the front sight, but not today. Today was just about enjoyment of a special rifle. Besides, I think those last three are grouping quite nicely. 
:cheers:

Excellent. I also would also say you don't need 150gr, but it's hard to argue with your results.

Now, see how she does at 100yds.

Like Pete and others have said "you don't need to proof test the rifle every shot". Shoot 100-110 grains for hunting and 75-80 grains for range work (save powder and it's more comfortable to shoot).

Who made your neck knife and sheath, good looking.

I was going to say something about the patch knife. What a perfect little size. Most of the ones I see are too big.

(Grins)

I will calm it down with the powder. I just wanted to experience the power potential. 
And, I really did for a half a dozen shots. 
icon_cheers.png

Hershel House made the knife and his wife made the sheathe.

It's hard for me to look at that gun. It's the Hawken I always wanted. Just perfect!

Latest posts

Back