Keeping the barrel dry when it`s raining.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnt1960

Reaction score
What is the best way to keep rain out of my barrel when it`s raining out while hunting? I`ve heard to stretch a balloon over the barrel, and I`ve heard to put a piece of electrical tape over the barrel. Also, once a balloon or electrical tape is on, is it ok to shoot through either one, or should I remove them first, in case a shot presents its self? Thanks in advance!

cover

I use a device from Traditions I guess the best way to describe is a rubber. I shoot right threw them no problerm, no comments either. Do not leave it on overnight. It will rust your barrel quick.

tnt1960

stretch a balloon over the barrel, and I`ve heard to put a piece of electrical tape over the barrel. Also, once a balloon or electrical tape is on, is it ok to shoot through either one

Yes - shoot through them.

You can also go to Wal-Mart or a local drug store and get a package of Latex finger cots that will work very well...

I do prefer the traition style rain boot - the rubber is thicker and tougher than the finger cot...

Here is an example

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

traditions

anybody have a clue what those little pink things are for wiht the traditions boots?

The pink things are rain guards for a #11 cap. They fit over the cap and from my understanding, besides keeping the cap dry, can be fired through.

I like the finger cots. They work well unless the rifle has a front site. Then they can tear. The ones from Tradition's I never used, but they look like they would work just fine.

Another way is to keep the barrel pointed down, as much as possible until its time to shoot. Or you can stretch some cling wrap over the end with a rubber band and shoot through all of that too.

Last year I was hunting in a pretty steady rain storm with my MK-85 (no scope). I was using the black rubber bore protector as well as the pink tubing that goes over the #11 cap. As I slowly worked several corn fields and hedge rows, I left the breech area exposed to the weather, meaning that I did not try to cover it with my rain jacket or tuck it under my arm. The gun fired fine when I finally called it quits a few hours later. So those two items have worked for me.

Haven't used it on my ML yet, but use these little.........excuse me for this.......finger condoms!! you can get them at the local drug store, they fit real nice on my other firearms, just shoot right threw them!!

Perry

Here is the best thing since sliced bread for a side lock:

http://www.octobercountry.com/products3 ... ductid=539

The Kap Kover only protects the rear, but gives you not only a 100 % weatherproof cover, but serves as a safety as well. With the brass cover in place, the hammer can fall and all it will hit is the back of the cover. No way it can fire. To shoot, simply take off the cover and pull the trigger.

I was using just plain old Blue painting masking tape. But one time I forgot to remove the left-overs after taking a doe, it was snowing and sleeting that day. Left it overnight in the garage. Next day I took it off and found some rust...on my stainless steel barrel ! :shock: :oops:

So now I just use finger cots, and no more sticky/mess or rust :wink:

I've used the black electrical tape for years and just shoot through it if I need to. Never had any problems in over 25 years of doing it.

Thanks, guys, for all the great help! I`ll go with the electrical tape, which I have a ton of. I`ve used it before, but I never knew that you could shoot right thru it. I`ll always remember to remove it when I get back to camp, to avoid any rust build-up. Thanks again!

Back