I Know Nothing about Muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roebag

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Lyman Breakaway 209 Magnum. It says it can safely shoot 3 pellets of powder up to 150 gr. I haven't tried this gun yet, and was planning on starting out with 300 gr TC Shock Wave sabots and haven't decided on how many pellets (2 or 3) of regular T7 pellets or go with two magnum T7 pellets . It seems that most people seem to be shooting 250 or 260 gr bullets with the 3 pellet combinations. What loads are you people using for hunting out of your guns
Thanks in Advance

Roebag

You might want to contact Semisane. He has one of those Lymans and I think is well qualified to get you started.

roebag

Semi is an excellent resource and another source would be cayuga, you might send him a PM - He has a begiiners list that he posts quite often. Between the two of them thay have you shooting in no time...

Have you purchased any other accessories yet? If not do not hurry cause they will have a shopping list...

Gosh! almost forgot to say welcome to a great forum - lots of good folks here...

Thanks

The starters check list is exactly what I need.

I will try to contact both of them. When I went into the memebers list there seems no quick way to search these two other than going through page by page. Is there a quick way to search them

Roebag

dad and I back in 83
ElkCreekMDDadandI.jpg

As you look through this list, of course if you purchase for instance Pyrodex RS loose powder, then you would not need any of the other powders unless you wish to experiment. I used to swear that loose powder was the best way to go. But after shooting my Genesis with pellets, I have decided that is not always correct. Pellets do shoot well.

Black powder rifle supplies

DECIDE ON THE KIND OF POWDER

? Pyrodex
? Triple Se7en
? Goex
? Black Mag3
? American Pioneer Powder?
? Black Horn 209
- loose or pellet

TOOLS NEEDED

? See through powder measure
? Cleaning jag
? Cleaning mop
? Patch worm
? Bore brush
? Short starter
? Capper/de-capper
? Loading jag for the projectile
? Nipple pick
? Breech plug removal tool ? socket set with long extensions works also

CLEANING SUPPLIES you might need
? Isopropyl alcohol 91%
? Car windshield washer fluid
? Bore butter or lube for conical bullets
? Gun Oil ? Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL, Breakfree CLP
? Q-tip safety swabs
? Cleaning Patches
? Bore Solvents
1. Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
2. Butch?s Bore Shine
3. M.A.P. ? Murphy?s oil soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide

PROJECTILES

? Sabots for the caliber of rifle
? Bullets to match sabots according to the diameter of the bullet
? Conicals

A range rod will save you a lot of troubles when you're on the range. Then save the rifle's rod for hunting. Also some cleaning jags also act as a loading jag. Be sure that if you are shooting Shockwaves that you use a shockwave tip.

Also be sure to read your manual cover to cover and understand it. And welcome to the forum. Do not worry about how minor you might think a question is. Just ask about anything you like.

We'll today went fairly well. I shot 12 300 gr TC Shockwave sabots using two T7 50/50gr pellets and 3 more of the same sabots using 2 T7 magnum pellets. I learned all kinds of new things today and had a lot of fun doing it. The best group I shot today was about 2 1/2" at 100 yards. I happy with this for day 1.

The trigger on this gun is the worst trigger I think I have ever used. Does anybody know how to adjust the trigger on these guns?

LymanBreakaway.jpg

LymanCloseUp.jpg

AttheRange.jpg

Target.jpg

Semisane might be able to help you on the trigger thing. But if in the manual it says it is not adjustable, you might have to go to a gun smith or send it back to the company for adjustment.

Latest posts

Back