IMR White Hots.....................New Information Added...Last Post

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like to use WH it's your choice. We're just trying to let you know BH is a better powder overall. We all used something else before switching to BH, and we know the advantages it has. I don't mind loading loose powder, because t's all i've ever done. Pellets aren't legal here, so I never thought about them much.

Lots of hunters use pellets and love them. Lots of hunters use BH and love it. In the end, we only need to please ourselves.

I would love to use BH, but I am addicted to the ease of pellets and I am hitting the bullseye with it. Don't get me wrong, I WILL try BH at some point soon, but for now the clean kills are there. I know BH is better because it is all over the web, but you cannot spill pellets, and if you do, just go home.

IMR White Hots

I finally tried some of that BH209 & i may get blessed out for sayin this but i didn't vare for it at all i love the pelets & they don't spill .So i am going to just stay with my IMR White Hots for now I am using the 3 pellet load or the Magnum Charge its called & it is giving my tight groups & i am not gonna change that at all I AM NOT DISSING THE BH@)( but is just not for me & i am glad that all of the fellas using it are getting good results . But for me Its gonna Be the IMP White Hots I guess to each his own . Hat  fellas i thank everyone that has gave me there thougths on the White Hots & the BH209

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top, because some false information has been given, and I was a part of it. Since Hodgdon makes T7 and White Hots. Everybody thought it was the same powder. Well, I finally got around to looking at the ingredients of the two powders, and White hots isn't T7 without a black dye like some thought. For one thing T7 has charcoal, and White Hots doesn't. That could account for the difference in color, and why the fouling is different too. A lot of the ingredients are the same, but all the percentages are different. They're definitely different powders. Here's the lists of ingredients.

T7

Charcoal.....................10%
Sodium Benzoate.........10%
Potassium Nitrate.........30%
Potassium Perchlorate...30%
Dicyaniamide...............10%
Dextrin........................10%

White hots

Sodium Benzoate............20%
Potassium Nitrate............50%
Potassium Perchlorate......25%
Dextrin.............................5%

Muley said:
If you like to use WH it's your choice. We're just trying to let you know BH is a better powder overall. We all used something else before switching to BH, and we know the advantages it has. I don't mind loading loose powder, because t's all i've ever done. Pellets aren't legal here, so I never thought about them much.

Lots of hunters use pellets and love them. Lots of hunters use BH and love it. In the end, we only need to please ourselves.
I just bought some bh 209 to try in my new prohunter. never used it before as I always just shot black powder or white hots out of my cva Electra.

One thing I do like about pellets is that I push my unfired charge out of the barrel and reload before each hunt, this is a lot easier with pellets. I just take the breach plug out and push it out back through the breech, this way I am assured of a fresh charge that hasn't gained any moisture from condensation due to the temp change of bringing the gun in the house. If I used granulated powder I would have to deal with containing the powder and getting it into my breech plug threaded area of the back of the barrel. I save these pellets for a time when I start shooting again the following year.

Back