Im stoked 1st deer w/ MLer 11 point buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordfisher

Reaction score
I went out Saturday for a total of six hours and just saw a doe but couldnt get a clean shot. So I went out at about 6:30 Sunday morning and hunkered down with my hood pulled over my face waiting for dawn. We only have this weekend here to begin the season. It was in the low 40's and I was getting a little cold.
A little after 7 as it was just beginning to get light I heard footsteps in front of me.
I was in a group of trees about 30 yards from a dry branch. I heard the steps on the other side of the creek. I slowly raised my head and saw a big deer with antlers 40 yards directly in front of me. I slowly picked up my Knight and by the time I raised it he was another 30 yards past me. I had to reach around a tree to get him in my sights. I think he had been eating acorns just up the creek in the dark.
My heart was pumping now so hard now that I thought I might spook him with the pounding.
I knew that as soon as I had his chest in the sight I had to take the shot. I pulled the trigger and he dissapeared in the smoke. I heard him run into the bushes but never saw where he went.
I stood up and blood was dripping from my nose from the scope but I didnt feel anything. I apparently had the stock off my arm when I reached around the tree and when I fired well the pictures tell the story.
I started looking for him from my side of the creek but couldnt see him, it was still pretting dark. I finally went over the creek to try to find the blood trail. I couldnt find the blood so I walked in the direction he had been heading and I found him about 30 feet away. It made my month. He was the biggest deer I had ever harvested. The shock wave went into his rib cage and came out to rest just under the skin on his right front shoulder. I recovered the bullet and will post a pic of it later. I left it at the barn.
I used my stock disc elite .50 with 90grains of measured 777 fffg and a 250 grain shockwave with the T/C sabbot. I just got the Lehigh conversion but didnt want to install it because I didnt have time to re sight it.

I wanted to thank everyone here once again for all the help youve been. I learned to ML hunt on this site.

SNC00289.jpg

I had to load him by myself. Pretty difficult. Hernia?

SNC00288.jpg

me with a busted face

SNC00295.jpg

SNC00292.jpg

Does that cut look like a Nikon 3x9 buckmaster

WOW!! that is a big deer you have there. A real hog. I sure would not have wanted to lift that big devil into the back of a truck. I have done it before, and it is hard work. Congratulations on that buck! As for the nose, be proud of it. You earned it. And anyway, scars heal and chicks dig scars. :D

Wow, Ford! Great buck! Glad to see a bruthah in KY score so well.:D

Be blessed!

great deer ! id hate to lift him into a truck . but worth the effort i am sure . congrats .

buck

Ford, sign of a hunter all that blood. On you I mean! Great job and story.

Thanks for all the nice words. Im not a great hunter. I think I just got lucky. But I'll take that.

Thats a beautiful buck. Will he be hanging on the wall in the family room in a few months?

Nice job....on the eye and the buck! :D

I got one of those scope bites from a borrowed muzzleloader years ago. They kick just a bit.

Nice rack, and a huge body!

Congrats! That's an awesome first buck! Or 2nd., or 3rd., or 4th. You get the idea!!!

deer

Way to go, good shootin.Body on that thing looks huge!
Wayles

Latest posts

Back